Papoose effigy? Please share your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papoose effigy? Please share your thoughts

What were these used for? I am a novice. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am not sure about the one in your hand but the rest look like natural concretions.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

PS welcome to the forums.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Sounds right to me thanks.

Comment

Hi Wayne
          I would agree that all of the items (including the one in your hand) have geological explanations in the territory of nodules and concretions. I don't see anything specific that confirms they were carved or pecked.
          What they were used for has a potential answer that lies somewhere between "nothing" and "effigy" which very much depends on the context in which they were found. If you have progressively picked them up from various unconnected locations over the years then the answer is likely "nothing". If they were found as a group in one location and/or in association with artefacts then the answer might be rather different.
          I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thank you painshill! They were all found on a 640 acre farm over a period of years.

Comment

Look like rocks to me, nothing man-made.
              Jack

Comment

Have to agree with the majority with all being natural concretions.

Comment

It's a fossilized "pig in a blanket".

Comment

Neanderthal wrote:

It's a fossilized "pig in a blanket".
                      Thats what I thought too
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

i can see that

Comment

Working...
                      X