Possible pottery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible pottery?

I found these while walking around, hard to tell by appearances but they are fairly light weight. They also have loose fragments of something inside them that rattle when shaken. I had one other like this that was a perfectly skinny egg shape and when I squeezed it a tiny amount it shattered, one of the small pieces of that one i saw was orange colored inside kind of the color of modern clay pots you see for plants. Any ideas are welcome, especially ones that may help get the outer layer of stuff off of it to possible see whats under. All 3 of the pieces were found within about 30 feet of each other.

That is a Hematite Concretion. They are naturally formed and not man made. A geofact!
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hematite is very heavy though isn't it? These are very light and hollow. Am pretty sure they are geofacts just wanted to ask, may take a hammer to one of them to show insides, we shall call it destructive exploration.

Comment

Hematite concretions West Odessa, Texas July is usually a dry month, but not this year. We've had lots of rain, and rain not only makes ever...

Here is a picture of some that were found in TX. with a pretty good little blog about the concretions.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

It does not look like pottery to me.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Fossilized egg?

Comment

pretty sure they are just geofacts. Too many of them found in the area, kinda cool how they have loose bits inside though that shake like a rattle.

Comment

will agree with hoss, I believe its a henatite concretion, but thats my humble oppionion. :whistle:
                As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                NW Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                X