Archaic (?) relics...LOTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archaic (?) relics...LOTS

I have a big variety of artifacts that I believe are probably archaic. I am showing pictures here of just about half of what I have. Any comments would be appreciated as I am a "rookie".

Welcome to the forum tsmom, I see mostly natural formed rocks in your pics but there may be a few that are artifacts. I'm viewing this on my iPhone so it's hard to say for sure. This is a great place to learn being a rookie, we enjoy helping everyone to learn what they have.
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

I agree with Chris. It is hard to say on the pic with all the stuff but the other photos appear to all be natural and not artifacts. True the Archaic period is quite old but they made some of the finest artifacts.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I have to agree with Chris and Ray natural rocks. but there appears on the one pic that you have some artifacts just can't make them out. would need better pics to tell for sure.
        Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys! The "effigy" photos..#2, #4 -and- #5 are very finely detailed and obviously authentic in person. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to photograph them showing detail. I am about to post some photos of several turtle effigys I have from the same area. I have found two fossilized turtles and several turtle effigys. Check them out. Again, the photos do not show the detail that is apparent in person.
          The second photo I am attching here is another sandstone effigy of a face. The interesting thing about this face is that the nose is very small with little bridge and the lips are very full and large. Again, this is so small the detail is very hard to discern in the photo.

Comment

Colette, you are convinced these are effigies so I am probably not going to change you mind with this response. It is my opinion they are NOT, no matter how detailed your pictures are. Native Americans were true craftsmen and the few effigies they made were finely crafted. Yous appear to be natural stones to me.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

LOL... Okay, Guys I hear you! And I do understand that I do posses a lot of "rocks"! HOWEVER I also can much better see extremely fine detail in SOME of the ( particularly sandstone) "effigies" ( for lack of a better term). These are all thickly covered in mineral deposits and I have been using a soft brush to attempt to safely remove some is the deposits. IN PERSON, there is truly very beautiful fine detail that has been etched into these that you cannot see in these photos.
              Also, some of my confusion comes from seeing some very similar effigies on other websites.
              I do truly appreciate your feedback. I am looking much more carefully now.

Comment

tsmom... it is hard to teach someone something when they're convinced they already know the answer. I do not wish to be a pain in the butt here, but honestly... I can't wait to hear what you find out when you bring these rocks to a show/authenticator.  Effigies are rare rare rare. So if they're so rare that they command much praise and high value, why have you found so many? I think it's always a little humbling to find that, as an ameteur (which I am too, by the way), we are wrong in our assumptions.  We simply do not have the background, education, years of comparitive study- to know what we have- be it geofact or artifact. Being stubborn will not make your pieces more authentic. I'm sorry if I'm coming off a little stern here, but I calls 'em like I sees em, and you must not simply shut down all these wise people's comments and critiques. Please don't take my comments the wrong way.  I'm just saying- keep an open mind.
                Good luck w/ your authentication either way.  We'd love to know what you find out!
                Riv.

Comment

I'm sorry if I am appearing to discount anyone's knowledge. I don't mean to. I truly just want to learn to identify relics. I am anxious to show them in person not because I am convinced that they are authentic. But I just want to show the detail that I am seeing in person so that I can learn what it is that I am seeing vs what is actually man made. So, no, I will not be at all suprised if I am told that they are geofacts or whatever. I am just trying to learn.

Comment

In the group pic there may be some knapping debitage on the right. Keep up The looking, maybe try new spots from time to time.
                    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Thank you. I will!

Comment

if u would , please, post the pics of effigies that u found that look just like yours  to your thread here. I really dont understand how a person can learn if they ask a question they already know the answer to. You must keep an open mind about this hobby/ passon. and if you already knew that they were authentic artifacts, then why post them under as a question? Just simply by pass oppinions, and put them in a frame or case and display them.
                        on the other hand , if u r willing to take others views ( some of wich has 30 , 40 , even 50 years of dealing with artifacts) and learn from them . Then by all means , please post and u will get honest feed back here at arrowheads .com. wich I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF.  thank u for reading.
                             Everett Williams
                        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                        NW Arkansas

Comment

I'm really starting to feel under attack! I have stated several times now that I am just trying to learn about relics. Apparently I have no genuine relics in my possession and I am not disputing that.!!!!!! I'm just trying to learn how to identify!! That is more difficult to do when dealing with photos rather than physical presence. That is why I would like to visit a relic show and discuss in person! For heaven's sake I am more than sorry if I have offended people more knowledgable than myself. And apparently I have.

Comment

tsmom wrote:

I'm really starting to feel under attack! I have stated several times now that I am just trying to learn about relics. Apparently I have no genuine relics in my possession and I am not disputing that.!!!!!! I'm just trying to learn how to identify!! That is more difficult to do when dealing with photos rather than physical presence. That is why I would like to visit a relic show and discuss in person! For heaven's sake I am more than sorry if I have offended people more knowledgable than myself. And apparently I have.
                              I am not personally offended. And there is no need to be sorry for others remarks. What makes members blunt opinions, is the denial of what they are seeing, holding on to a thought that your seeing something more than a picture can pose. If you are truly here to learn ask questions, there is not one member that would not like more than to share his or hers knowledge. I will say that we are all here to learn from each other including you. All posts here no matter what is posted, has educational merit. Thanks for being a member.
                            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

it should be noted that sometimes, people (like me) take so long to write a reply that we get backed-up, and seem to be pounding a dead horse, so to speak.  I know that's not our intention here, but it does happen now and then- inadvertantly.  Sorry if I came off a bit harsh.  And I hope you find the answers you seek-- and by all means share what you find out!  We're all here to learn a thing or two- every day- even if it means our egos are challenged (or squashed)
                              Happy Hunting!
                              Riverwalker

Comment

Working...
                              X