Slate Arrowhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slate Arrowhead?

Ive found and collected thousands of arrowheads and artifacts since i was a young man but this particular one i still question myself about wether it is in fact man made or rather just a coincidence and look like one. I called it slate but im not even sure thats what the material is. It is layered though and looks like it is very soft and likely delicate. One of the reasons i doubt it is an artifact. The reason i did keep it though is because i found it in a place i have found many artifacts and some of my very best ones. If i had just found it say in my driveway or some random place id probly looked at it then discarded it. I have several of these type of “artifacts “ though. Unsure about them but kept them particularly because of where they were found. What do yall think? Just a coincidence or artifact? Either way ill always keep it and wont lose any of its sentimental value to me. Its cool i think no matter what it is!!
    Attached Files

what county and state was it found in. how big or small is it?
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Cass County TX. Just guessing id say 2 1/4” to maybe 2 7/8”. Im unable to get measurements at moment but will try and do so when i can. Thanks

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it thick? hard to tell from the photos.

Thanks Paleo. It does look a lot like slate to me. In the north eastern states I have seen this type material worked. There is an Argelite that is green found in RI and MA that is layered like that. Also there is a red slate material I have seen flaked in CT. That one you shared coulld have been flaked into an expedient knife for a single one time use or it could have been a child practicing on a rock. If it was in association with other artifacts as you say then I would agree it was utilized. It might actually win a prize for the ugliest impliment . LOL Merry Christmas.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• PaleoSnow
        PaleoSnow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks thats some good info! Ive never seen any other slate in that area though which also makes it an odd find. As far as you calling it ugly…….i think i have some far uglier that i know for a fact were man made! Some of which are so curved i can’t believe, and joke were for shooting around trees, and some so thick they couldnt have been used practically. Many of these “ugly”,crude, poorly fashioned artifacts i find in eastern TX. Couple of us just refer them to “Shabbers”. But a find is a find and theyre all one of kind and unique so they are collected as well.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        They actually have Shabbers in Texas?! (That is great word! And even tho have my doubts Large Lithic Texas has Shabbers, now know what call ours here in Quartz Belt. Beats heck outta “ugly” coz there are no ugly artifacts!)

• PaleoSnow
        PaleoSnow commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes they have their fair share of them! From my experience hunting there and in the areas i hunt. Although i have found very high quality ones there as well, like the ones i posted monday! I do like AR much better for finding higher quality, finer material, eye appealing artifacts though. Im guessing since there was a local source or raw materials that were quarried easily. Esp AR Novaculite. Id take quality over quantity any day!

It has a certain charm to it..👍
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Looks like grey basalt to me . NA people liked basalt, it was easy to knapp .
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• PaleoSnow
          PaleoSnow commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll definitely look into that! Thanks

I have some large Savannah Rivers made from slate. Mine look much worse than yours. If we had a contest for “roughest “ looking point, I could win.
        South Carolina

Comment

It looks layered which tells me it is Sedimentary. Here is a big Kniffe from the North Eastern states. Chipped slate. sorry about the poor lighting.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20211204_210246 - Copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.8 KB ID:	603914

Comment

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes that looks very much like mine because of the layering. Thats an interesting piece! I like it.

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks

I find a lot of Slate artifacts the archaic people in this area loved Slate / Shale / Basalt not a thing of beauty but real functional and quickly made .

Comment

Working...
          X