To Break a Kids Heart or Tell a Tall Tale? 🤔

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Break a Kids Heart or Tell a Tall Tale? 🤔

I had an easy answer for that! A good friend of mines daughter found her first arrowhead on a local river recently where ive had many failed attempts and many explorations She was super excited about it!! Her mother knew exactly who to ask about it and identify her first proud find. I didnt hesitate on it and she kind of had her own doubts already. My response was basically, you can tell her what you want but i wont break her heart but from my experience and a little knowledge on them, id say definitely a preform! It was worked down to the desired shape and size but never made it to the knapping process. And of course i knew exactly what it was but shes a child. I told her that next time i saw her id bring her one of mine and asked what color. White she chose so i have nice white Gary in my truck now to give her and ill bring her another one of my many whatnots and i set out a quartz crystal for her too. Hope it will brighten her day though and spark interest in the hobby. Possibly take her out to one of my spots one day and i can guarantee her a no doubt 100% authentic first arrowhead, Excuse me! First if you dont count the preform. Leave that up to her. Sometimes a tall tale, or half truth, or what i call made up true story can be a good thing in my opinion. Any thoughts? Do i deserve a pat on the back or should people just throw rocks and preforms at me? Either way i dont feel bad about it. Here is her first arrowhead. Would have loved to seen it after knapped and worked to perfection! Also jealous because i havent found anything on this river 😏
    Attached Files

Gosh. She sounds just like me…. only her brain’s still growing, and mine was/is shrinking! You did for her what WillJo and others did for me; if I’ve learned so much in <3 yrs after such late start, just think what she’s gonna learn, know when all growed-up!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Shrinking brain !,😂

it was hard for me to find a point in the sixties , much less for a four year old .

She had taken the lead that day..A big ole sandy field spread out before her...The arrowhead that flew over her head wasn’t noticed till a few steps later.

The excitement was immediate and the passion exists these many years after .

Yeah !.when she was twenty she said with that smile that’s only reserved for dads ” I didn’t really find that point by myself that day, did I? )..
    Last edited by Hal Gorges; 04-28-2022, 11:54 AM.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Ohhh, Hal…. You big ole Sweetie! Yep, I know bout that smile reserved for Dads. My Dad and I had best arguments, too!

I bet the Easter bunny dropped that one.

Comment

Had same experience with my kids, let them enjoy seeing their world the way they see it, show them actual artifacts , they founds plenty of arrowheads that we're just flakes
      2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        I tell myself all the time “that quartz flake is an artifact”, and I’m as happy as any 8-yr old could be!

That's a nice Point!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
      X