Clear All

Flint Point
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6679.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	649221

Comment

Not sure what this points' source material is.
      ​​​​​​​Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6680.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	649223

Comment

Flint point

Name:	IMG_6682.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	649225

Comment

This is a slate point

Name:	IMG_6684.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	649227

Comment

Are you collecting every piece of flint from the site or just what you believe to be artifacts?
            Floridaboy.

Comment

Quartzite levanna point

Name:	IMG_6689.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	649230

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
                Are you collecting every piece of flint from the site or just what you believe to be artifacts?
                The event that caused the creation of the gorge was so violent that it removed the top soil. But since then, any source material chert/flint or otherwise was brought there. So, yes, any piece of flint that I find is either a tool, broken or otherwise, or a flake or debitage. Its interesting to try to find the source location (petrography). i horde it all, quartize or chert/flint. Hardstone, I just leave there in a pile by a tree.

Comment

So much of what you have posted isn't what you think it is. Spend some time familiarizing yourself with lithics, hardstone artifacts, projectile points and other real items left behind before we showed up. The real artifacts are out there.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Sounds like you’ve done some research on typology and the native peoples from your area in the historic period. Unfortunately the pieces your showing don’t show any of the basic signs of being altered by the hand of man. Once you get the eye for what those alterations look like the search for artifacts only gets better. Your on the best website to gain and share knowledge about your finds. Keep at it. The good stuff will turn up.
                    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

I see a couple that may be artifacts. Most are not. Certainly very little of that is what you named it. Keep searching and looking at artifacts here and over time, the actual traits of human work will become clear.

Welcome

Comment

Great presentation but ?

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts but the word fact is in the word artifact. I have no choice but to move this topic to Rocks Mistakenly Believed to be Artifacts. I have collected New England artifacts for over fifty years. I have read journals, looked at many collections and visited many museums, never have I seen anything like what you are showing us in any artifact collection. Except your right these are stone. mislabled as flint and slate. But stone indeed.
                          Last edited by Hoss; 08-08-2022, 04:34 PM.
                          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                          X