X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geofacts.

A natural rock fragment having the appearance of an artifact
    made by humans. A rock, bone, shell, or the like that has been modified by
    natural processes to appear to look like an artifact.
    I while talking with CC about Geofacts I have decided to post some threads. Mother Nature can make some strange things. I have brought home many odd looking rocks to add to my Geofact collection. All comments are welcome. Starting here with Paint Pots and Stone bowels. I have never found a Paint pot that I can be 100% sure that it is one. I have two that I suspect could be Paint Pots. Stone bowels pictured sure look good but sad to say they are Natural forms. Nature can produce what looks like peck marks but on close inspection man made peck marks are quite different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4420.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	658774 These dimpled stones are the result of layered rock that has a softer material, probably a petrified clay layer. Over time the weather has eroded these stones and the middle popped out leaving a dimple that resembles a small stone pot. These are fairly common in the Snyder Co Pa. area. They can be found many places the have an underlying shale bedrock. I have seen these types of things in most collection. They don't have the polish that a used pot would have. Some times it's hard to convince the collector that they are natural. But when explained scientifically they understand.
    Stone bowels
    The same holds true for the next picture. No peck marks, no polish and no indication of Mans alteration.
    The last Picture are real Stone Bowels. Peck marks, polish and workmanship that there is no doubt these were Man made. You can even see the staining from human use.

​​​​​​​Enjoy, Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4430.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	658775Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4422.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	658776
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Great information and photos. Thank you.

Comment

Your welcome for sure AC. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
      X