Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a real Bear or Eagle artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought this was appropriate again... Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230626-085716~2.png
Views:	299
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	696353
    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Comment

• UpNorth
        UpNorth commented
        Editing a comment
        Kinda reminds me of a old girlfriend… lol…✌️

Closest thing I have to a bear. Fire away. Here to learn.

Comment

Posting a question like that in this particular thread is like using a stick of dynamite as a fire poker haha.

What you have there absolutely does look like a bear, but it is just another of Mother Natures amazing works of accidental art. I would have kept it for sure, but it is not an ancient artifact made by human hands.

Comment

How can you tell? What I need look for? I have found several rocks in the Little Tennessee River that look like effigies. Would like to know so I can leave them be and look for something else. They are hard to ignore and found in river 100-200 feet from effigies confirmed by WCU. Thanks for your wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by iotla217 View Post
            How can you tell? What I need look for? I have found several rocks in the Little Tennessee River that look like effigies. Would like to know so I can leave them be and look for something else. They are hard to ignore and found in river 100-200 feet from effigies confirmed by WCU. Thanks for your wisdom.
            One rule of thumb is that if you have wonder, if you have to think about it, if you have to ask because you’re not sure, then it’s not an effigy. Prehistoric Native American artisans were every bit as skilled and accomplished as in any other culture, ancient or modern. Here’s an example of a sandstone effigy. No guesswork involved, one recognizes instantly that it’s man made. They will be obvious. If you have to ask, at all, then it’s almost surely just a rock….

Posted by [CMD] A Turtle Effigy from Narragansett Bay Found on Narragansett Bay (Saunderstown, North Kingston, not far from the Jamestown Bridge) in 1936. Made of

Rhode Island

Comment

• iotla217
              iotla217 commented
              Editing a comment
              If you have to think about it, it ain't. Nice advice. Scientific. It clearly looks like a bear (according to member) but it is clearly not?

I think it is impossible to know in any case without an established set of indicia and methods to measure and identify those indicia, controlling for the necessary environmental factors and a million others. Here, we just have people eyeballing balls and strikes. More prestige in calling a ball.

I have read enough posts and responses here to know that no one knows with respect to hard stone. There is no way to know it is man made. No way to know it isn't. Some people here just really savor the suck-ups "look dad, look what I found, I pray your judgment." Pitiful.

Here is a bear head adze.
            Bear head Adze Found in Glastonbury Connecticut Posted by [stumpman]: Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2013 but failed to transfer across to the
            Last edited by Hoss; 09-12-2023, 12:17 PM.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• iotla217
              iotla217 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea the bear really roars in those two to the right.

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
            X