Anyone know what this could be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what this could be?

I found this rock 2 years ago in Eastern Oregon near Hells Canyon (The border between Oregon and Idaho).
    When I first got it I thought it looked like a tool but all my friends that were there at the time said it just looked like natural ware. Well, after staring at it for a year, I've decided 'natural' just does NOT fit this thing!
    It is totally shaped for a right handed person to hold and use as a cutting/chipping tool. Maybe even as a bashing tool with the ends!
    I even think there is blood on the head! (Redish brown spots along the whole 'head' with white ares where it looks like the blood flaked off?)
    There is also a chip on the head where it looks like the thing broke when it was being used on something hard.
    The whole thing is about 8" long, the head is 5 1/2" by 2 1/2. I sadly don't have a scale but it is is a very comfortable weight to use as a tool.
    I'm not sure if its Native American or older and I'd love to know!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_N...2017.35.16.jpg not found
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_N...2017.35.06.jpg not found

Ohh, it is much older than Native American- it is Mother Nature. She unleashed her water forces on that geofact and ate it away to leave that unfinished masterpiece for you to find. Had it laid there another million years, it would be nothing but grains of sand.

Comment

I agree with cliff

Comment

Also agree with cliff. Natural stone

Comment

That is her way of showing us that she can do it to small stuff just as she has shaped mountainous size versions of geofacts we enjoy when we are on vacation. You were just blessed to find a "mini"

Comment

Neat rock. Soft rock in the center and harder ock on top and bottom.

Comment

Have to agree with most natural rock but still nice find. Would put in my rock garden! Wife has paid for rock that don't look that good, shoo! she did't hear me!

Comment

Geez Joe Roy be careful. Gotta remember were married. Mouth before mind is killer when done in front of the good woman-LOL

Comment

I know Bill thanks, she understands my lack of couth, guess thats why she keeps me :unsure: I married a young one she's only fifty this year :blink:

Comment

It sure looks natural, but I was just wondering why this separated from it's source like it did.  Why did it break off at it's strong points, and not bust the soft sandstone middle instead?  I find it hard to believe that this formed laying on the ground by itself.  Shouldn't there be more wear then there is on the harder parts of the stone?  After all it looks like it might be sandstone too.  I would also think that there would have been more like it in the area if it was natural.  I'm not pretending to know one way or the other if this broke off naturally, or by man, and anyone that claims to know for sure from just a picture is...  Well let's just say they probably don't know.  Were there any other formations like this close that this could have broke off from, or was it just laying all by itself somehow wrested from it's home far way?  Were there other stones of similar material lying around maybe not so beautifully worn, but at least in the process of it?  What signs of natural forces that might have transported it there, if any?  Was it in a dry river bed or, an old alluvial flow? 
                    However this formed, it is a great find, and would look fantastic sitting in any collection.

Comment

By the way, the forces that worked the interior sandstone "look" a lot more like wind erosion than water erosion to me.  That's just an old rock hounds opinion.  One that has been prospecting , and studying this stuff for an awful long time now.

Comment

My good woman turned 53 this past month, the joy of it is Joe Roy that I am used to all of her issues!!! And she is very well used to mouth before mind, I have been at it since I was a youngster. LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X