Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

odd looking rocks--maybe indian artifacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd looking rocks--maybe indian artifacts?

let me know what you think of these.

Sorry to say, but they look natural to me. Don't give up!

Comment

Hi Tate, and welcome to the forum.
      I  think this is where we all start out. We find sharp and pointy rocks that resemble arrow or spear heads. Wedge-shapes reminiscent of axes. Large pebbles that are bashed around and look like they may have been used as hammers. Odd shaped rocks with sharp edges that seem to fit comfortably in the hand. And an old-timer tells us there used to be camp in the area.
      But you’re looking at shapes… and that (on its own) is the least reliable criterion for judging whether or not you’re finding artefacts. You are now on a journey that takes you into an exciting world, but you need a better map.
      The next level is to concentrate less on overall shape and more on the suitability of particular lithics for artefact production, the techniques by which artefacts were made, and the characteristic diagnostic features which are unmistakable when seen.
      The majority of lithic artefacts are well-made from good quality stones. Glassy material that flakes readily to a sharp edge or close-grained hardstone that is free from geological defects. When artefacts have sharp edges, those edges normally have secondary working. The large flakes that originally produced the sharp edges are refined by further small flaking on top of the large flakes. Flaking generally has some logical regularity. It’s not random. Pecking normally takes a stone towards a defined shape that is recognisable from previous catalogued finds. Damage from usage is confined to the working surfaces of an artefact and you can determine which surface that would have been based on what the item might have been used for. Many artefacts were hafted onto a shaft or into a handle. They have characteristic grooves or notches that would have helped secure them. Those features often give a high degree of symmetry to an artefact.
      There’s a wealth of information here on the forum and some very experienced folks. Make yourself at home, have a browse around and familiarise yourself with what genuine artefacts look like. Keep looking and keep asking questions. It is an exciting journey.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
      X