Effigies or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effigies or not

Here are a couple of things, too me one is not questionable to me. The one that looks like a fish to me, I believe is a pipe. These was found in the same area not far from each other....

Look like rocks to me, sorry.
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

My honest opinion is Not! I agree with Chris
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That second one looks like a meteorite, which I know nothing of.... does it stick to a magnet.  Is it heavy???  certainly looks like a metallic rock.. interesting. :blink:
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

All look like river rocks to me too...

Comment

I’m afraid I’m just seeing odd-shaped rocks. I don’t see any conclusive indication that any of those items have been intentionally shaped by the hand of man and I struggle to see what makes you think the first one may be a pipe. It’s true that Native Americans did collect rocks that were already shaped by nature and judged to have some resemblance to an animal or other effigy form but (and this is a really big but) they need context to be claimed for this. We would use the term “curated” for such rocks… ie they were collected, kept and cherished.
            The kind of context you need for that goes far beyond the usual claims we get such as “I know there used to be a camp here” or “I found some arrowheads in the same area” or “I found it in a cave”. The context needs to be something like: in association with a burial; found as part of a cache; found wrapped in cloth/leather; found inside a clay pot; has been painted; stone type not found in the area (allowing for the possibility of transportation as a glacial erratic) or something else which tells us it’s more than just a stone.
            I sincerely doubt the second item to be a meteorite. It looks like a chunk of hematite or another member of the iron family. Try it with a magnet and give it a streak on the back of a white or pale ceramic tile (the unglazed side).
            Hematite: is normally either non-magnetic or weakly so and streaks red-brown.
            Limonite: is normally either non-magnetic or weakly so and streaks yellow-brown.
            Goethite: is not normally magnetic and streaks yellow-brown.
            Magnetite: is highly magnetic and streaks black or grey.
            Pyrite: is not normally magnetic and streaks black or greenish-black.
            A meteorite might have that appearance, but if so it would have to be an octahedrite or an ataxite and the surface would be rusted unless it was a very recent fall. It would be highly magnetic but give no streak. If it meets those criteria it doesn’t mean that it is a meteorite, but the rock would then be worth a closer look.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

will agree ,,,,,,,,,, natural rock with no human modification
              As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
              NW Arkansas

Comment

I never said the first one was a pipe I said the one that resembles a fish, which would be the last one shown...When I was first introduced to this hobby, I was told by an old timer that relic hunting is 10% knowledge and 90% imagination, which it took to see what they may have done with the material that they had at hand...I do have a vivid imagination, which all do, it's just a matter if they want to put it to work for them...It don't matter what anyone thinks, because these pieces became a part of my sanity the moment I picked them up...Thank you all for your opinions

Comment

Thank you! but all the effigies have been found. :silly: Jennifer, I agree human nature would say if it looks like a duck most likely its a rock. but if the shape is cool take it home! Thanks for sharing.
                  Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I think your old timer had it wrong. It is 90 percent knowledge and 10 percent imagination.
                    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I agree with the rest...and yes you need to flip flop the %'s there. I agree the the red piece is Hematite which was often used by the natives but I see no modification on this piece. Don't give up though. keep looking and keep posting.

Comment

Working...
                      X