Tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool?

It has tiny little. "pin holes" giving the appearance that it might have been made by pecking. Unfortunately these "pin holes" don't show in the photos.
    Thoughts?
    Rock?

Looks like a geofact to me but I'm far from an expert. Don't give up, your perseverance will eventually pay off. Here's a personal example of one of my pecking or hammer stones. Notice how the ends are deeply pitted from repeatedly striking objects. If you use the search feature on this site, use key words like hammerstone or pecking stone, you'll find other examples too.
    Also, next time you attach a photo, look all the way to the right of the attachment and you'll see a little button that says "insert". Hit that and the photo will show full size on the page.
    Keep hunting, you'll find something. Some of us hunt for weeks without so much as finding a flake, or at least I do.  Patience grasshopper, patience.

Rick, East Central Missouri

Comment

Sometimes early on in one's artifact hunting career, it can be difficult to break out of the geofact funk. Have you hunted good spots with experienced hunters? I spoke to someone in chat a couple days ago who seemed to be having the same problem and I suggested the best solution was finding someone with good experience to walk good spots with. Not always easy to find that kind of hands-on mentor, but it's always the best way to learn and often the only way to gain the ability to separate human work from natural. My wife and I helped a friend in just this way. He had found 2 nice blades, but everything else was rock. See as many authentic collections/museum collection in your area as possible. Keep looking of course, but try to improve your odds by getting hands-on help if at all possible.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Charlie, that is the best advice I have heard on here in quite a while for the new comers. Thanks
        Bob

Comment

Tanks guys! I'm getting a rather large "rock collection" now. So I'm thinking about using them to create a stone facade for my out dated brick fireplace! 

Comment

Working...
          X