Stone Doughnut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone Doughnut

Is this a geofact or an artifact? If an artifact then what is it? I realize that I may be asking the impossible but give it your best shot. I did not find this item. I purchased a collection from Texas and this was in that collection. I am including many pictures to help you help me. If I should take more pictures please let me know. The stone is redish in color. It measures 1 15/16 inch diameter and 13/16 inch thick. My concern: The interior of the hole does not appear to be as old as the exterior.

Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Not sure Ron  :unsure:, but is a neat looking thingamajig...

Comment

Hi Ron
      It looks to be coarse sandstone and I would be sure that the hole is geological. It's difficult to say whether it has been subsequently enlarged or whether something has fallen out of it more recently than the weathering on the exterior. It's also difficult to say whether it has been pecked to that rounded shape or was naturally broken and eroded to that shape... or enhanced a bit to improve the shape.
      I think what we can say is that if it had been intentionally shaped (or improved a bit beyond its natural shape) to be an artefact then any self-respecting native would have done a rather better job (especially on the hole) if it was intended for anything more than a very utilitarian purpose such as a fishing weight or something similar.
      If it had been found in California then there would be an increased possibility for it having seen use as digging stick weight, but even then they normally have rather better holes and shaping than that. Here's a couple of pics I took in the museum at the Mission of San Luis Obispo of Chumash artefacts used in that way:

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Thanks Rog, You are right on: It would take very little effort to make that hole more rounded if someone wanted to use it on a stick for a digging tool.
        Ron
        Michigan Yooper

Comment

It just dawned on me that knowing the weight might be helpful.
          The stone only weighs 57.6 grams or 2.03 ounces.
          Ron
          Michigan Yooper

Comment

Ron Kelley wrote:

It just dawned on me that knowing the weight might be helpful.
            The stone only weighs 57.6 grams or 2.03 ounces.
            Ron
              That's extremely light (and too light for a digging weight). It has to be a mineral concretion with a sandstone exterior.
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Ron, I would have to say the hole at least is entirely natural.
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Looks like a geologically formed hole, but it kinda looks pecked on.

Comment

Cool geofact I'm afraid....or a petrified donut! Could be the worlds first example of ancient baked goods.., sorry that's my job and lack of sleep talking.. I work in a bakery.

Comment

Working...
                  X