Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Points and Tools from fossilized molar teeth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Points and Tools from fossilized molar teeth?

Over Labor Day weekend, and recently bitten by the bug I went searching at a place that I had found some petrified wood years ago in S Bexar County. After looking at many posts, photos and diagrams and asked questions (thanks for everyone's help), I felt I know enough to be dangerous and I had a better idea of what to look for. I started off finding large fossilized teeth and pieces and picked them up. I also picked up smaller items thinking they were flakes or broken teeth to look at. After some research (this forum), Could I be finding uniface tools and points? Here are a few photos of some items- These were mostly surface finds in a sandy ravine. Almost everything that I am finding is made from fossilized teeth- there are other rocks but it seems only the teeth are worked.

I know this is alot of photos and I have many more items. Am I on the right track? these appear to be worked- If so do you know what culture?

Michael, I am not seeing any teeth. and the pic's your are showing are not worked, with one possible exception.  The rest looks like material but has been unaltered by man.
    This one may have been worked.

Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

I agree with chase. The one above the piece singled out by chase might also have been altered a bit by man. Bone2stone is our resident Texas fossil expert, and Roger(painshill) is a fossil expert as well. They may weigh in, but right now I agree with chase in not seeing any teeth fossils in the photos.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the responses- maybe these photos detail them better- I posted a couple photos of possible teeth but have clearly larger ones at home that I need to photograph.  Are these flakes just natural wear?
        The last photo appears to be a molar- it is upside down- I posted the opposite side above. It has grinding in the void on the opposite side as a mortar- The two before it are items that I picked up since they looked like molars.  To me, most of the things that I am finding are minimally chipped on one side to make it somewhat symmetric with the other side. Could be natural?

Comment

Quincy, there are no teeth here. As Chase pointed out in your first post there is one that appears worked, all the rest are natural. In your second post, I also see no teeth of any sort. The rock in pics 8 and 9 does appear to have some flaking on it.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Agree with Chase and Ray. Pic 11 in the first batch and pics 8 -and- 9 in the second batch appear to have some edge work but obscured a little by significant water tumbling.
            No teeth in any of those pictures. You're probably making judgements on shapes (bad idea) rather than evidence of enamel, dentine -and- structure (good idea).
            I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Some of those may have been worked, just to hard to tell from the pics. Worked edges can be hard to capture in a photo due to lighting, angle, focus, so we may just not be seeing it. What you are thinking are teeth, I'm thinking are pebbles and cobbles with much of or all of the cortex in place, creating the effect of making them look like teeth. I'd guess that if you broke those open, the material would look like the chert you expect to see when looking at artifacts.
              By the way, Welcome Quincy!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I agree with Yogi Berra.
                "It's déjà vu all over again".
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                X