HELP needed :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP needed :)

I have found a few stones that I think might be real. I found these located just northeast of Tunica Hills in Louisiana. I posted pics so you can see. I am kinda new at the whole searching for arrowheads thing, so if someone can please take a look at what I have found so far, I would appreciate it very much. I just want to know if I am looking for the right specs when it comes to ancient arrowheads. Pointers are VERY welcomed

Not sure if any are artifacts? A couple could be scrappers but cant tell from pictures, too far away! Alot of them are smooth, arrowheads will have flakes taken off to form them. I see you marked a couple as serrated, maybe take a couple of clear close-ups and we can let ya know. Mark.

Comment

Sorry to break your heart, but I don't think you have any thing there?  The thing about artifacts are this, they were very good at working stone.  If the flaking isn't obvious, and you think "it could be" this, they are most likely just rocks.  You will have no doubt in your mind when you find an actual arrow point or tool.

Comment

thanu for the tips so, no flakeings, no find.. im not gunna stop hunting  should i hunt just the surface of creeks, os should i dig down ? pointers and tips are needed, i know im in a good location. Thanx

Comment

I seen the close-ups in your profile Edwin and none of the pieces are worked. As Tyson said when you find a piece that has been altered you will know! Keep on looking! Here is an example of serrations. Guess not! Photobucket is having "site maintaince" Will try to post later. Mark.

Comment

All those are just rocks, nothing made by an Indain there.
            Jack

Comment

Sherman, if you have access to a creek bed look at the surrounding landscape, once you see the highest ground close to the creek you are walking look there. More than likely that would be the area they camped. Welcome aboard-Bill

Comment

Sherman - You're on the right track already.  You got the fever that we all have about hunting artifacts.  In addition to the already mentioned creeks, and as Bill pointed out watch for high ground.  Looks for wash out areas where down pours have eroded the top soil and check them out very closely.  Dirt roads after heavy rainfall can also yield points.  Try to think like an ancient - what would you want as a homesite - high hill - cave or overhang and relatively easy access to water.  Keep hunting and posting on AH.com.  We look forward to your finds. ---Chuck
                Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Walked 4 hours yesterday afternoon, Skunked again! Picked up some firerock and flint flakes to show new hunters what to look for. In a 100 by 100 area found enough burnt rock to fill 5 5 gallon buckets! Cant wait till they plow. This is what ya look for Sherman after ya find an area Bill and Chuck told ya about.

Comment

OOPS! Forgot another flake pic.

Comment

Thanks for those pics. Ive found many small ones with the flakeing. So im on the right tract. My brother works at LSP angola state penetentry. its in between tunica hills and the miss. river. The inmates have found numerous points and mastradon fossils on certain creeks. They have them on display at the angola museum. Ill go see them and take sum pics. The good thing is he knows exactly where they found most of them at, and i have permission to hike those areas. But he told me to buy a machety And wear combat boots with good pants because the rattle snakes are everywhere out there. Im fired up man. Ill keep in touch. And i greatly apreciate yall knowlege. Sherman

Comment

Working...
                      X