My best find yet!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My best find yet!!!

So, my family and i have found a good number of artifacts in our yard. I have shared some with all of you over the last few years. Some might argue that what Im about to share isnt the best of the finds here, but it is to me. I really thought that i would never find one and it was at the absolute top of my list... the pictures really dont do it justice. Its green and white, not grey.
    So i thought i better tell how i found it.. My wife has been after me to rototill the garden. I thought it would be easier to use the backhoe first and get down in deep. So last night i overturned the garden with the backhoe and a few hours ago i fired up the rototiller. I had just started when the tiller kicked this out. I knew right away what it was and i hollered and jumped up and down. My wife thought i cut my hand off....
    i also found a nice little krf point. My little boy found three scrapers, and the oldest daughter found what i believe is a lancet. I am just tickled pink right now!

Judith Basin, Montana

Oh man....that’s a beauty!
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

That is awesome
      South Dakota

Comment

Chad, I am beginning to think that you live on top of the Fort Knox of lithic depostiories.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

That is an awesome find. Show the other stuff too. Man I love seeing your finds you are so lucky to have a site in your yard.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh and i really enjoy hearing about the kids finds too. I think it is awesome they are involoved and go looking when the dirt is flipped.

• Cskelton
            Cskelton commented
            Editing a comment
            I will matt. The hammer is green and white... there were some very, very, green kids scouring the garden when i stopped jumping up and down.....

now thats a nice head-knocker.

Comment

Hey Chad, Great find for sure. Hardstone artifacts certainly are rare compared to the number of knapped tools. Is it full grooved? Some are 3/4 grooved. If you have a scale I would be interested to know the weight.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cskelton
              Cskelton commented
              Editing a comment
              Ron,
              I agree extremely rare compared to knapped pieces especially in my area. We have hundreds of "worked" pieces and this is the first one i have found. It is full grooved. I will get back to you on the weight.

Oh my goodness. That is something. Congrats.

Comment

Fantastic!! Tell me the tiller didn't hurt it..
              Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
                Fantastic!! Tell me the tiller didn't hurt it..
                As far as i can tell, there isnt a mark on it!!
                Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Holy boly bola stone .
                  best I have ever seen even on the net !!!
                  Ok nothing more to say you know how I feel about your
                  yard !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
                    Hey Chad, Great find for sure. Hardstone artifacts certainly are rare compared to the number of knapped tools. Is it full grooved? Some are 3/4 grooved. If you have a scale I would be interested to know the weight.
                    Ron,
                    i weighed it and its just shy of 5 pounds. I tried a pic in natural light to show the green coloring.
                    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• Ron Kelley
                      Ron Kelley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I thought it was a big one. I think I would call it a maul. Any ancient use wear on the ends? That's a beautiful rock.

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
                    I thought it was a big one. I think I would call it a maul. Any ancient use wear on the ends? That's a beautiful rock.
                    Yes, one end is worn flat and is rough to the touch. The other end is rounded and is mostly polished smooth. I believe its granite.
                    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

I looked up Maul as well .. 5 lbs on a skull .
                      any take on the era sorry just what a find .

Comment

Hi Chad. Congrats for sure. I overlooked your post when I checked in this morning so just now seeing it. A rare find indeed. I can imagine your thrill of discovery. It is an amazing site you have just beyond your doorstep. May even be a Clovis or two under your house. LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X