GA arrowheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA arrowheads

After 10 hours of scouring a peanut field, and half of a plowed sod farm, with nothing to show except 200 flakes and 8 lbs. of pottery, I found these two beauty's. I am not sure about what the big one is, but the small one looks like a Pinellas. These were the only two lithic artifacts during the entire hunt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0994.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	314679 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0995.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	314680 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0997.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	314677 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0999.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	314678
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Congratulations on the nice finds man we missed you.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice finds KP. Combine those with the pottery and I'd say you had quite a trip. Welcome back.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh and on top of Chucks , don’t you love the sand you can see a red or yellow jasper chip from quite a distance . So easy right !

Nice points man you did good congrats
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Boy those lithics bring back good memories . We have some of the best in Georgia . I am going to let Johnny hit ya on this . He has been there in those fiels a lot longer then I so respect . Excited for you and yes you were missed !!

Comment

Congratulations to you, for a successful hunt, KP! Sounds like you did well, and have alot to show. What part of GA where you in? I'd like to see pics of the base, side and each face of those two you're showing. That larger one looks like it was possibly broken and reworked or something, It has alot to look at. That small one is nifty, Pinellas is probably the right call, there may be one or two other types to consider if it shows signs of resharpening. There's a good chance you've got some other notable finds, in those 200 flakes,(i.e. scrapers, gravers, lancets, microblades) you may want to give em all an individual inspection. Share a group shot of those and the pottery if ya don't mind. You may also want to keep your finds site seperated, if possible, even if that means just putting them in zip lock bags and writing the state, county and area on the bag.. Remember, even those flakes are lithic artifacts and they are very important to understanding the history of a site and to the learning process of anyone interested in lithic artifacts and prehistoric man or Native Americans.
          It seems like you were expecting more, and that is understandable. Since you're new to the world of artifact hunting, you probably haven't established a baseline for what to expect when you set out on a hunt. Every site is different and the volume of items will vary from site to site, also, some geographic aren't as rich in artifacts as others, for any number of reasons. I find It is best to temper expectations. Do I want to find something/some things when I'm on the hunt?..Absoloutely, we all do! What I've come to realize is that there is less let down and the finds are more enjoyable if I start a hunt with no expectations. There are times when all I find is flakes, other times when I find only one item, and other times when I feel like I got skunked, depending on where I'm hunting. Iknow you were probably hoping to find more "points" or "whole artifacts" in those 10 hours, yet sometimes it doesn't come that easy. Building a collection of artifacts takes time. Remember, time is relatIive. I know 10 hours may seem like alot, however, if you're counting..when you look back in a year, 5 years, 10 years etc..it will be a drop in the bucket. Some of our members may put in 10+ hours, over one or several hunts, and find very little or maybe even nothing. The 2 items pictured, the 200 flakes, and a bunch of pottery may be more than some folks find in a whole year. Others may be able to yield the same amount in just a few hours or less. My point is this: any find is worth celebrating and no single find or any amount of finds should be a let down. Now, lets see those flakes and that pottery!
          Last edited by Broken Arrow; 08-22-2018, 07:32 PM.
          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

In those fields ....I am yet to walk one . I only have done my property and mostly hunt leases . Those timber fields Kentucky are a good place . Known camps show up etc . They don’t see the plow as much .
            just a thought for next time .

Comment

I am sorry for making you wait so long, but here are the flakes. Note the deep purple one in the center.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1006.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	316172
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I see maybe a botkin , graver , little scrappers and possible micro blade . Look for secondary flaking you have the eyes for it at your age .
                You can find them , you know what to look for .
                I just love collecting these and looking at them when I have time .
                With all those flakes and pottery looks to be a possible camp there Buddie .

Comment

Working...
                X