Nice surprise probing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice surprise probing

Nice surprise one foot underwater.. Steatite net sinker two and a half inches long. Fine Groove all the way around. I pull up in my kayak and put my paddle in the mud to stop myself and I felt something. Same place I found my axe Last Summer. This site is just a little lump in a muddy river. Definitely a transitional Period Site. Past finds there include Steatite bowl fragments and a broadspear plus reduction debitage. .I am thrilled this is a very cool artifact. Probably made 3000 years ago. At the site I only find things when I probe in the mud under the water. In-situ photo is pretty much impossible. But I thought I'd share because I am so excited I didn't think I would find one of these and in such nice shape.
    New Jersey

Also, please if anyone has any good links with information about this kind of artifact I would really appreciate if you shared. These are called net sinkers I am aware, but I've also read speculations about them being for cooking or even as something worn. This one was from South Jersey btw.
    New Jersey

Comment

I don’t know a thing about that except it’s 😎!

Von

Comment

Look's like we have a September Find of the Month hopeful! That is really cool! A good place to find those is on the Loyalsock creek in PA. People pull them out all the time up there. But still, that is a remarkable find! Congrats!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey Evan, A common name is Waco Sinker. Check out the info here:
          https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...mets-etc-gc127

Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

A rose by any other name, here on the east coast we don’t use the term Waco sinker, I’d just call it a beautiful full grooved weight! Click image for larger version

Name:	D0C314FF-4104-4DCC-83DB-53A3B177DC90.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	318814 Click image for larger version

Name:	2FC4152B-EE67-4680-985C-8D034008D561.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	318815
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Obviously it’s not a club or a bolo stone, it’s made of steatite, another clue to it being transitional archaic maybe?

Comment

Another idea was that they were used as cooking stones partly because of the steatite material.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That's one mad cool weight .. congrats
                  SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice artifact .

Comment

Thanks everyone, I will check out that link.
                      New Jersey

Comment

Water find. Fine-grain local sandstone. Archaic-Woodland midden Gulf Mexico. I've seen many of these "Waco Sinkers" from Texas but they are not common at all in Florida. I can only think that line was attached to this for a trolling or plain fishing weight.... an in-line fishing weight. Found another weird multi-grooved stone same dive, same site.
                        Last edited by tomclark; 09-13-2018, 09:59 AM.
                        Professor Shellman
                        Tampa Bay

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
                          -=METACOM=- commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Shedhunter found something very similar, I'll see if I can find the post and link it here.

After reading the article in the link below I question a little if this kind of item is just a net sinker ... unless ceremonial. It's not crude....But I really don't know. Look at the net sinkers in the cache. Simply chipped.
                        Are there any reports of these being found in burials? I like the waterfowl net idea I read about. I also consider the cooking ball idea feasible. How about a sling like David and Goliath, but with a chord to retrieve it? What about a healing stone, heated on a string and applied to sore muscles? Any reports with carbon dating of associated items? Do they predate stone bowls? I am befuddled LOL !!! And curious. Thanks again for the thoughts and links.

In 1992 the chance discovery of an artifact cache consisting of 80 pebble net sinkers was made by Les Kunkle, one of the museum’s active “Fo...
                        New Jersey

Comment

• Andy W.
                          Andy W. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "Problematical"

Wow that is ,one sweet find! You lucky dog you. I am so jealous.
                        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Steatite is very very easy to work, and it’s not a strong stone either. I’d rule out sling and bolo stone as it would get pretty dinged up from even a few throws. The fact that you found it at the water should be another clue. The full groove tells you it had a cord that went all the way around it and needed to be strongly secured, hence the full groove and not just notches. My guess is still fishing line weight. It’s a great find too

Comment

Working...
                          X