Last find of the year....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last find of the year....

I pushed in and leveled the one hole we dug this summer. Yesterday it rained a little. Went over to the spot to see if anything showed up. This dandy flake knife was sitting right on top. Its much like the other uniface flake blades we find except it has very fine edge work on the edge that is usually unworked. Probably the last find of the year for us... we are forecasted to get 1 to 3 feet of snow starting tomorrow....middle of Montana.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Man u are truly fotunate to find these cool artifacts ..always posting something cool...the snow forecast is crazyman....well you do have enough elk meat ...for sure good luck. With the storm man
    SW Connecticut

Comment

You find the most awesome artifacts! If it makes you feel any warmer, forecast here in SC is middle to upper 90's this weekend😟
      South Carolina

Comment

Snow!? It's 90 here, with no sign of a cool down until the end of October! (I don't mind!)

That is a dandy flake knife, and the color makes it pop. Great find!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That’s a really nice little blade. Super sharp looking...
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Really nice jasper ? With what looks to me your usual Paleo flaking you find. Just one heck of and example of a flake knife .
            Lets hope those few inches get those kids out playing and another find

Comment

Hey Chad, The flake knife is one of my favorite artifacts and that's one of the best. Have you ever done any screen sifting? Make a good hand shaker and find many more artifacts.

This is a common type of shaker screen:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaker Screen.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	394145
              This is Dennis's (South Fork):
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Dennis's Shaker.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	394146
              Last edited by Ron Kelley; 09-27-2019, 01:48 PM.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Cskelton
                Cskelton commented
                Editing a comment
                Nope. Ive always toyed with the idea. It just didnt seem that important when we started doing this. The kids just jumped in the piles of dirt and started digging and everyone had so much fun!

Hey Chad, OH YES!! My favorite Paleo tool, next to a fluted point that is. Nothing better than a sizable uniface flake knife. I usually play with one while my wife is watching TV. Once in a while I'll act like I'm enjoying the movie!! ( Forum members: Our little secret! ) She doesn't read this!! This is my favorite all time Paleo uniface knife, Pa. jasper, Bush Paleo Site, Pa. Amazing micro edge flaking. This is the one I get caught playing with!!! Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09314.JPG Views:	1 Size:	76.6 KB ID:	394148 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC09315.JPG Views:	1 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	394149
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• pkfrey
                pkfrey commented
                Editing a comment
                Thx. Ron, What's kind of odd about this site, it produced only two Clovis points, but, it's only 5 miles as the crow flies, north of Pa. famous Shoop Site. So these two Paleo culture groups lived that close to each other, but I can venture an educated guess, they never met! The material used on the Bush Site is all Pa. jasper, while there is complete absence of this jasper at the Shoop. And not a single flake on Onondaga chert at the Bush. You would think if these two groups met they would have traded materials. And the fluted points are of a different nature than the Shoop. What this might mean, IDK, just an odd coincidence I guess.

• sailorjoe
                sailorjoe commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, a dandy Paleo knife for sure. Regarding the difference in lithics at the two sites. My idea is that, although they are both Paleo, they could have been separated by a couple of hundred years more or less, Consequently, they may have been from groups that had access and used materials from different areas. Just thinking.

• pkfrey
                pkfrey commented
                Editing a comment
                That's true. Just because we generalize the Paleo folks at around 10,000 B.C., it could have been as little as a week passed when they were at the Bush Site. And the Bush Site wasn't a habitation site. The whole site after many years of hunting only produced two fluted points, this knife, and seven jasper tools. What separates the two sites is the absence of tiny retouch flakes from constant resharpening tools. So the Paleo folks at the Bush Site simply were passing through, and had no reason to visit the next valley over where they would have encountered the Shoop people. Actually, my theory is, due to the lack of more tools and habitation debris, and in fact, all the tools were in original unresharpened condition, what I found could have been the entire tool kit of a single Paleo Indian who may have lost it while passing through, or on a hunting excursion. Bet he was mad when he moved on and realized he lost his survival gear!!!!.

Nice Find! I couldn’t imagine snow right now. Heck it doesn’t even snow in December down here.
              SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Hard to believe you are getting snow already it was 102 today here in NGA no rain got a sprinkle yesterday better than nothing I guess. Big like on that blade one of my favorite things to find
                NW Georgia,

Comment

That’s beautiful! If you’re lucky, this is just s freak early storm & it will melt.
                  Child of the tides

Comment

Wow and Wow! To the find and the weather
                    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi Chad, that is a super dandy uniface knife. Congratulations.

Comment

Super blade, would be a plus to any tool frame.
                        SE IA

Comment

Chad Johnny is big on digging . He has a set up with screens and could probably tell you or give you ideas that work and have not for him . Very successful in his ventures just does not posts as much .
                          As you taught me about the pond I am going to make a pilgrimage out to his place for lessons one day .
                          we can al learn new tricks

Comment

Working...
                          X