Jack's Reef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack's Reef

My friend lives in the actual hamlet of Jack's Reef, NY where Ritchie originally named the diagnostic point from his finds in the area. The fields we hunt have an amazing array of artifacts that attest to a long habitation of the site. We're also not far from Brewerton, NY where that point type was originally named as well. Without getting too specific we're actually working with NYS and the Archaeology Conservancy to take the first steps in trying to protect this site from future development. Just a few pictures to share of the types of things we find on an almost daily basis from over the past 20 years. There's a huge midden pit as well where the fox dens will kick up some amazing things each spring when they did new dens. Any comments, questions, or observations always welcome! Thanks!

That is very cool. Thanks for sharing and best of luck and success in preserving the site. This was excavated in 1938-39, by amateurs Mr. and Mrs. K.O.Palmer, from a midden at the Jack's Reef Site....

Click image for larger version

Name:	1D5A0377-1F9B-4AC4-923E-1B6528C98AF2.png
Views:	310
Size:	749.1 KB
ID:	460284

Rhode Island

Comment

That's awesome. ....I see similar types that I find here in sw Connecticut. Must be nice to find artifacts like these on a daily basis..good luck with the conservation effort ...thanks for sharing .. nice pics!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Excellent
        Last edited by paohrocks; 06-09-2020, 02:01 PM.
        Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Thanks for the show, mighty fine pieces in there.....keep on huntin’👍
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Quite the introduction. Thanks for sharing and thanks for doing what you can to protect the site.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Very nice assortment of points ...Good luck with your efforts and thanks for sharing!
              North Central Kentucky

Comment

Welcome.. nice collection, is that the culmination of a couple of seasons excavation at the site ? It’s overwhelming to see those nice artifacts all at once, but my eye goes to that nice bone harpoon, left of center, any way you could show a closeup ?
                Floridaboy.

Comment

excellent finds, and good luck on preserving that area, keep us informed 👍
                  🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
                    Welcome.. nice collection, is that the culmination of a couple of seasons excavation at the site ? It’s overwhelming to see those nice artifacts all at once, but my eye goes to that nice bone harpoon, left of center, any way you could show a closeup ?
                    Yes - over a decade of walking the woods and fields. These are all surface finds except for the bone and shell tools which were kicked up by the foxes denning. Here's a closer shot of the harpoon and the stone pendant which is quite neat. Looks like it might have been an earring?

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                      Hal Gorges commented
                      Editing a comment
                      A rare and outstanding artifact.

Awesome displays. Those two (very) clear pieces that are pictured with the drills are very interesting.

Comment

Welcome. Good luck and thanks for sharing your artifacts
                      South Dakota

Comment

Nice collection of artifacts from what looks like Archaic to Late Woodland. I'm confused if these all were found on the same site and if that site was the one that you are seeking special protection for.

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
                          Nice collection of artifacts from what looks like Archaic to Late Woodland. I'm confused if these all were found on the same site and if that site was the one that you are seeking special protection for.
                          Yes - these have all been found in 2 fields over the past 10-15 years by my friend and I. We are hoping to protect those parcels.

Comment

Good Luck on the site Preservation. Nice Surface finds. Lots of different types. Kim
                            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
                            X