Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a nice surprise

North Carolina
    Well I am still grinning from finding this handful yesterday, It measures 4.5 inches, my biggest unbroken point easily. Found in a creek that I don't get to often these days. Somebody had cleaned up the hotspots well as I was walking in footprints quite a bit and not even finding the usually abundant flakes. But they missed one!
    The gunflint was a field find here at ourfarm this afternoon, it doesnt look french amber or english flint like others I have found in the same place.
    Thanks for the look. I think the point may be either a Morrow Mountain or a Mack. I have lots of smaller MMs but this thing is bigger. Any suggestions are appreciated. Happy hunting!

Sweet! That's a big one. I'd be grinning too. 👍
    South Carolina

Comment

Impressive. Nice post
      Western Kentucky

Comment

Hi BF. A super dandy big one for sure. What type do you think it is?

Comment

• Bloody Fourth
          Bloody Fourth commented
          Editing a comment
          Howdy sailorjoe, I would have always assumed it was a Morrow Mountain, but now the Mack blade has been brought to my attention by a new book.

• sailorjoe
          sailorjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          My first thought was the biggest MM I ever saw. I'm not familiar with the Mack type. I'll have to check it out.

Nice! That’s an awesome find!
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Killer, That thing is huge! Great pull fourth!
          North Carolina

Comment

• Bloody Fourth
            Bloody Fourth commented
            Editing a comment
            Well what's the call on this one Flake? I got the new Time, Type, Point Traditions in NC archaeology by Randolph Daniel. Really enjoying the read.

• utilized flake
            utilized flake commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it part of the MM cluster... The right side has the look of a large mm blade, or kinda like koens Crispin blades of Pennsylvania. The rounded base shows older than the mack which i understand is straight expanding. Both get big...that show I met you at had a legit 7 inch MM that has an oyster attached to it! Found in the sound!

Very nice!
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi Bloody that’s a great find congratulations I love it. I was going to send you pics of I Randolph Daniel Jr’s description of Mack points but after reading your comment to Sailor Joe and UF it looks like you already have his new book. What an awesome addition to NC Typology in his new book! The banded rhyolite was the preferred material for Mack’s now thinking my Avatar is a Mack guess I’ve been living under a false identity. Hoping there is many huge Mack’s or MM’s in your future!
            Last edited by Sugaree; 04-27-2021, 05:56 AM.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Bloody Fourth
              Bloody Fourth commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Sugaree!
              What a great new book I am so glad you posted about it. Although the new find is rhyolite it is not banded. I am leaning to MM based on some things that UF has pointed out. I'm gonna need to see pictures of your avatar, is it banded? Good stuff!

Congrats! Is that rhyolite? Up here in Jersey I might call that a Poplar Island or Morrow Mountain, or even another type or two are similar.
            New Jersey

Comment

• Bloody Fourth
              Bloody Fourth commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks kayak, I think the lithic is rhyolite, and I am thinking Morrow Mountain.

I’m happy for you. Very nice. Even the gun flint is cool
            South Dakota

Comment

Nice artifacts. Congrats!
              SW Connecticut

Comment

That's a great point. I thought it was argillite, but is it actually rhyolite? Sweet flint too.
                California

Comment

• Bloody Fourth
                  Bloody Fourth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Tom, It is rhyolite i think. I was unsure when I picked it up wet was so dark, but then it dried out. Amazing how some lithic materials can appear so different when wet. Cheers!

Click image for larger version  Name:	028C8000-9B7F-4ED4-9636-B8285E9D2431.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	86.6 KB ID:	551585 Here is my Avatar and a little closer match of the one on the cover of Daniel’s book. But truly not positive if they are Mack’s it’s just the size, material, Click image for larger version  Name:	89FB4922-DA93-494A-BAD9-5612AB1F59EC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	165.2 KB ID:	551584 and reading our new book that makes me lean that way. I believe your point is a Morrow Mountain. The one thing that really got me is the large gap in between the two point types. Oh so much to learn!
                Last edited by Sugaree; 04-28-2021, 07:06 PM.
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Bloody Fourth
                  Bloody Fourth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That sure is a beautiful banded rhyolite wow, and a super fine specimen point! Boom thank you for showing me up close. Those big ol wide ears are bad to the bone!

What a great find BF. Good for you. I'm not convinced you have a gun flint though. Would you post a few more Picts of the other side and the working edge Please? Kim
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Bloody Fourth
                  Bloody Fourth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Kim, Here are a few pictures and a little more information. I found this piece in the same exact place as several other flints that I found last year which is very strange indeed. Also the dark english fling is uniface typical, the french amber one is fatter and exhibits working on the back side also. The thing that stood out the most was the rectangular flat top that most flints show. I love to hear your opinion, I think I remember you saying something abouth flints worked on both sides were native american worked flints because they worked all sides. Very cool. The french amber shows work on both sides.
                  The new find also shows work on both sides.
                  Last edited by Bloody Fourth; 04-29-2021, 07:21 PM.

That’s a nice one!!
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                X