My dads last hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dads last hunt.

My Dad is 92 years old. He has been pineing to go on one last hunt. So yesterday I picked him up and took him to a field where I could drive him right into the field and he could step out of the truck and start hunting. I staid right beside him. He is very unstable on his feet that's why I staid close. Although I saw this point well before he did. He was so afraid he would "fall flat on his face" as he put it, we didn't stay very long. Dad found his last point. I should have taken a pict. of him holding it but I didn't think about it. I am so glad I could fulfill his wish to go hunting Artifacts one last time. You see he took me hunting when I was 6. I took him when while he is 92! Quite a turn around. His point is a Wells Bridge Corner Notched Hafted Scraper. Local Penns Creek Chert. Snyder Co. Pa. I hope you enjoy this story and point as much as I do telling and showing it. Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3211[1].JPG
Views:	350
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	554014Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3213[1].JPG
Views:	281
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	554015Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3214[1].JPG
Views:	287
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	554016
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Great post Kim. Love that point. I really like the hafted scrapers.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks flint.

Wonderful to spend some time like that, nice scraper
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Johnny. Probably our best together, I'm sure you know what I mean.

That's really a special story and find, Kim. So glad he was able to find something.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Your right very special for both of us, Thanks Josie.

Good on you and your Dad
    Wyoming

Comment

Thanks my friend.

Comment

That story will stick close to the heart. That’s awesome Kim!
        SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Great story and a wonderful gesture, I doubt I’ll make it to 90 and even if I did my daughter wouldn’t take me on a
          last hunt, Lol....What was dad’s trade,?
          Last edited by Hal Gorges; 05-09-2021, 01:57 PM.
          Floridaboy.

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            Well Dad has a bad arm, he was a Flutamide baby. He was educated by the state to work with M.R. people. He worked for the state hospitals and retired to an Antique business. Now he is pretty much a couch potato. But he loved anything Outdoors. Thanks for asking Hal.

What a good kid, must have been raised well! Dad's lucky to have you❤️
          Massachusetts

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Isl. you warmed my heart.

The memory and point will both be ones you always cherish!
          My Grandpa has a display of ones he found farming. Some were behind a horse before they had tractors.
          How I love listening to his stories of yesteryear. Seems you are the same way.
          Good job on a good day!
          Flint
          northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

Bless you Flint for your thoughts, Dang I have such good friends on this site!

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
              Flint Eastwood commented
              Editing a comment
              Matters,
              This is probably one of my favorite threads I have ever read.
              The joy it brought me to think of my Papa and father.
              Someday, I hope Nuther One is as good to me as you are to your father.
              Flint

that's a good day. memories to keep with ya i was lucky enough to take my dad out on his last prospecting trip he passed a month later.bitter sweet but what he passed down to you is irreplaceable. I'm sure you'll have the memories forever.
            Utah

Comment

• Mattern
              Mattern commented
              Editing a comment
              I sure will. Sooo many. thanks Smbore

That's awesome. I remember the day I took my Dad out on the farm to ride through his cows "one last time". Your story puts a lump in my throat. Love and respect...
            Western Kentucky

Comment

• Mattern
              Mattern commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks MM. Sorry for the lump. Well maybe not. I didn't think this was a big deal but now I realize it was the Best! Dads not going to be around for too much longer. I dread seeing him pass but he had a wonderful full life and yesterday was,,, well,,, a time I will remember for the rest of my life.

Kim, Among all the cherished memories you must have with your dad, you just created a special memory that will outlive both of you! A memory that can be a story about you and your dad! You should feel fortunate you had the time to do this, as so many people let the time slip away, and could only wish they had one more chance. You had one more chance, and you took it! Good for you!! The thoughts of this special time should forever make you smile! Now will you take me hunting before it's the end? LOL!!
            http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Mattern
              Mattern commented
              Editing a comment
              Absolutely Paul. Lets quit talking about it and do It. We can go to the field of dreams. A friend always. K

• Flint Eastwood
              Flint Eastwood commented
              Editing a comment
              So true...I just shared the story with my six-year-old.

Hi Kim , I generally only observe the finds & rarely comment , but your post about your Papa tugged at my heart strings & made me remember my Dad & hunts in the missouri Ozarks with him on the Meramec river from age 5 till his death in 1980 , Thanks & bless you , Augie

Comment

• Mattern
              Mattern commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Augie, your words mean a lot. I now realize that my thread has touched many people in a very good way!
          Working...
          X