Summer in-situ's from RI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer in-situ's from RI

This was one of the slowest summers artifact-wise for my wife and I in many a year.  But we did manage a few in Sept.  Here are a few in-situ's.  The first 2 are from sandy beaches on Narragansett Bay.  This first one is quartzite and I'm guessing the type is Normanskill.
    Charlie
    Rhode Island

Here's a small Squibnocket triangle(bottom left)made of green argillite.
    Rhode Island

Comment

After 2 hours and only a few flakes, my wife spotted this on a tidal sandbar we like to hunt when the conditions are right.  Flint is scarce in southeastern New England, so we're always happy to find some.  Probably one of the New York flints and probably a Brewerton side notch.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Here's the point above sittin up nice for the camera.  Hated to see the tip ding, but we'll take it!
        Hope everyone has a great Fall!
        Charlie
        Rhode Island

Comment

Nice points Charlie!
          Ding or no ding...definitely keepers!
          Tell your wife she done good!   

Comment

kyheadhunter wrote:

Nice points Charlie!
            Ding or no ding...definitely keepers!
            Tell your wife she done good!   
              Thanks Jane! Don't you worry, my wife always lets me know when she does good Her exact words: "Now aren't you glad you brought me along?"  Yep!  Good luck on your hunts this Fall, Jane.
            Charlie
            Rhode Island

Comment

Nice points.  I particularly like the arrowheads that come out of Massachussetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.

Comment

CMD
                The beige point looks a lot like this one I found in Salem, CT a few years back.
                Any idea on the age these could be and the tribe which produced them?
                MMA 1991

Comment

MMA1991 wrote:

CMD
                  The beige point looks a lot like this one I found in Salem, CT a few years back.
                  Any idea on the age these could be and the tribe which produced them?
                  MMA 1991
                    MMA 1991
                  The beige point in my first photo is a quartzite side-notched, either an Otter Creek or a Brewerton Side-Notch.  Both in the 4-6000 age range.  The point you show is also quartzite, but it is a corner notched.  It looks like a Brewerton Corner-Notch.  That's my best guess.  Nice point.  Salem, Ct is near or part of Pequot tribal territory.  But by their own accounts, the Pequots arrived not too much earlier then the English.  They invaded as it were from the west.  What the people in that area of Ct. called themselves thousands of years ago who can really say I guess.  These are late archaic points in New England.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks CMD.
                    I emailed the same pic to a professor of anthropology at a NE university and he said it was a Brewerton Side Notched....whats the difference between a side nocthed and a corner notched arrowhead?

Comment

MMA1991 wrote:

Thanks CMD.
                      I emailed the same pic to a professor of anthropology at a NE university and he said it was a Brewerton Side Notched....whats the difference between a side nocthed and a corner notched arrowhead?
                        Look at the top of any page on this site.  Put your mouse over Artifact Resources until it scrolls.  Click on the Overstreet Guide.  Scroll to Table of Contents and then click on "the 8 forms of arrowheads", I think page 70.  Below the written descriptions are outline illustrations showing both side and corner notch forms.  Typology isn't easy, I ooften struggle with it.  There are several types of late archaic Brewertons.  To me, your point looks corner notched, not side notched.  The illustrations in Overstreet will show the differance.  Let me know if you live in Ct. and I can send you links to specific pages for New England point typology.
                      Rhode Island

Comment

Paul, here are 2 pages dealing with point types of southern New England.

http://webhost.bridgew.edu/clhoffman/an410a.htm
                        Rhode Island

Comment

Mistyped the 2nd link.  Here it is:

Rhode Island

Comment

Don't understand why the entire url won't post.  So, put http://. in front of the above url to get the page....
                            Rhode Island

Comment

Hey CMD, havent seen you post in a while! Welcome back to the site, we always enjoy your knowledge/posts B)

Comment

Working...
                              X