No announcement yet.

Two broken in-situ's from last weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two broken in-situ's from last weekend.

Moderator note: Unexplained missing content!

Think the second point my friends find might be what they call around here a Hollenberg Stemmed? Found not far from city of Hollenberg KS. from where point was named. Was river find.

Comment

Would have been a nice find if intact. The scooper is a great invention to pick up arrowheads.

Comment

Thanks Trapper but can't take credit for the (scooper). We call them spoons -and- there not so much to pick up rocks as they are for just flipping rocks. The friend I hunt with started using the spoon attached to a broken golf club many years ago. I just use wooden dowel so I can make as long as I want. If I had to bend over to pick up ever flake I look at in a day it would be a short day, my back could not handle it.This friend I hunt with has been hunting for around 17 yaers. He got me started about a year -and- half ago, now im hooked.Good Hunting!

Comment

We usually use a stick with a knife attached to the end so you can cut through weeds on the way to the creek or river and flip flint.

Comment

Yes Aaron think it serves the same purpose, gives me a barrier for snakes to. Are you from east kansas? Love to hear from other poeple from kansas, post some of your finds.

Comment

Yeah I live in N.E. Kansas, just north of Manhatten.  I don't have any pics in the forum yet but do have a few finds in my profile.

Comment

Hey Aaron my bad! Just looked at your profile (surface finds). Very nice finds and in-situ pics.

Comment

Aaron do you hunt the little or big blue rivers? I see you and spanky are friends the white tip point on this post was found on the little blue by him. Been to little blue couple times not much luck.

Comment

I hunt on both of them.  Artifacts seem to be few and far between on them but they are there.

Comment

What kinda material is the bottom pick?? I enjoy the multi-color stuff the most. Here in Ohio Flintridge is the multi color gem to find an artifact out of. Bought a collection from Alabama a few months back and they have a Horse Creek Chert that is an awesome multi color. At least you folks can find something, ours are buried under half a foot of snow right at the moment. Nice finds broke or not guys.

Comment

Don't know rock type Bill. Looked like lower quality rock on tip, just chalky white color. I guess part of the rock formation point was made from. Spanky has point maybe he will post his opinion.

Comment

I'm not an expert on material types but I'd say it is a florence variety.  The tip is probably limestone

Comment

Sounds good to me Aaron, Im not good with rock types. Any luck since we last talked?

Comment

No my luck has seemed to disapear here lately.  I did find a crude knife, a nice broken knife, piece of pottery, and a scraper the other day.  Other than that been gettin skunked.  How bout you?  Been out?

Comment

Working...
                              X