The first 5 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first 5 minutes

Have you ever walked into one of your point hunting spots and walked upon a point within the first few minutes of hunting?? I almost feel guilty when I find a point too easily, not that I want it to be too difficult to find them, sometimes it's just really enjoyable to work for a couple of hours or days before finding one. Sometimes the find is sweeter to me when I have to work harder for it! Has anyone else noticed this feeling when hunting? Anyways recently I had the chance to hunt again and found this little quartz squibnocket stemmed point shortly into the hunt (20 steps in). And I found myself wondering, will this be my only point of the hunt? Is this bad luck? Or am I just overthinking this whole thing 😂Needless to say I consider myself lucky to add this to the collection and wanted to share with all of you.
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Nice find man. It's happened to me too, I love those moments.

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      i was sitting in my car once as i just pulled up to this farmed field in central mass and looked out my window and saw a point lying right outside my car,, my friend couldnt believe it

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, definitely can't say that's happened to me.

First off, it's a nice point. Congrats. You never know when luck will strike, so you're probably just overthinking things. Once in a blue moon, I might arrive on a beach, walk a mile, find nothing, walk a mile back and find one within feet of the starting point. Meaning, I had a chance to save myself walking two miles, but was not looking at the exact spot at the right time. And since I probably only find a point these days every 20-30 times I walk, my spots are nearly 100% played out, I would never feel guilty finding one 20 steps into a field. Once, when my wife was a much better surface hunter then I was, she found a killer quartzite point within 1 minute of us exiting the car. My reaction? "Ya know, do ya think ya could at least give me a *#^** chance?!"
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Pointhead
      Pointhead commented
      Editing a comment
      That's too funny Charlie!! That's almost how I felt!! I wondered to myself how many times I could've possibly missed this point in the past! Or if perhaps just fresher rains had washed away the dirt concealing it!! One never knows. I was happy and lucky to find it so quickly, but almost felt bad! Key word on the almost part

Yea - been there and done that Charlie. My wife sat down on a ledge along the logging road while I walked further down looking for points. I was gone about 30 minutes and when i came back she says "Are these anything" - I almost had a heart attack right then because she was holding two very beautiful, full points that she found at her feet. Sometimes ya got it and sometimes ya don't. So - PH - just go with it. Nice quartz that will fit in any collection.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Nice find!
      One time I pulled up to one of my spots and literally within feet of where I started I found 5 in 5 minutes....I remember that day fondly! Always nice to find one so quick and get that skunk out of the way😊

Comment

It's a dandy point that you found. Not being from your area so my opinion counts for little, but HST, it looks like several types that were made as dart points during mid to early Woodland times in the eastern, midwest and the southeastern USA. The other members of our forum from your area could likely give you more definite info info as to type. The ones I would suggest would be based on what I know about mid South points. As far as lucky goes. Sometimes we have good luck, sometimes we have bad luck and sometimes we have no luck at all. And that goes no matter what aspect of our lives in which we engage.
        Last edited by sailorjoe; 08-12-2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I love that point !! Awesome !! And for the record ,, heck no I wouldn't feel guilty
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

Nice one. I went to a new spot that I was checking out. It had just got plowed up. I walked right up to a nice point within ten minutes. I thought wow, this place will be awesome. I never found another. It's back to grass now, so it was a one hit wonder.
            South Dakota

Comment

• Pointhead
              Pointhead commented
              Editing a comment
              That's incredible!! You would think to find one there should be more, but that is not always the case I guess!

I went back six more times, and never found a flake. It could have been a stray point I guess. I was so sure it was going to be good, I called my Brother to come look, before I went any further. That's the way it goes sometimes
            South Dakota

Comment

Nice squibnocket point! sometimes they come easy, but more often than not you have to work for them.
              Matt, from Massachusetts

Comment

That a great looking point thanks for showing! Yea it's happened to me more then once. My avatar was the first rock I looked at on a hunt six hours later nothing else? The opposite has also happened looked all day and the last rock I could see before total darkness was one of my best finds!
                N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Super point. I've done the same many times and sometimes at the very end near dark lol sugaree. I'd rather find a lost hunting point like that one than a bunch of broken points at a worksite....
                  Professor Shellman
                  Tampa Bay

Comment

• Pointhead
                    Pointhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like to find them both!! Broken, but sometimes a lost beautiful hunting point is something special
                Working...
                X