What r we calling this awesome point ??
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Searchinghawk suggested Agate Basin but that type isn't found in my region, although trade is always possible. That would make it paleo. I'm thinking Guilford Straight Base-- Guilfords are regional, which would make it mid archaic. At the moment I'm calling it "the biggest point I've ever found!"

Congrats. What a find. I'd call it a pale-o-my-god
    Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Would love it to be paleo but it doesn't match paleo points found in my region.

Wow! I can see why you let out a yelp. Beautiful find, Deb.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Havenhunter
      Havenhunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Well you certainly know what I mean about a shell midden. The oyster shells were piled high and wide and in some places there was no sand in sight, just shells, which made for precarious walking. The color of this point and the shells were identical. It was pure luck.

That is a beauty! What a way to make up for all the time you don't get to get out there. Bet you can't wait to get out there again after that find.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

That's an amazing find. Congratulations. Looks paleo to me. A little hard to see the flaking.
      South Dakota

Comment

• Havenhunter
        Havenhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        It's so water worn & sand polished as to be almost smooth. What flaking is there is almost indiscernible.

You my good lady, have magically combined two of the best things ever....point hunting AND the beach!!!
      beautiful point, just a stunner!
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Havenhunter
        Havenhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        You won't get an argument from me! Lol!! I've been a beach bum for many more years than an artifact Hunter. Beach glass, shark teeth, driftwood, shells, pot buoys, surf boards & old bottles have all come home with me at one time or another. This saying pretty much sums it up:
        We all come from the sea
        But we are not all of the sea.
        Those of us who are,
        We children of the tides
        Must return to it again & again.

I love that saying. It's beautiful. Makes me smile. I'm going to share that with my bride....she will swoon.

do you find the glass pot buoys? I saw one in St. Croix and wanted it badly but couldn't get the bar owner to part with i

Comment

• Havenhunter
        Havenhunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I've found one small aqua glass float.

The one I saw in St. Croix was probably 12"-16" in diameter. I don't know if that's large or small. I think it's the only one I've ever seen. and was a beautiful blue-green, I guess that aqua? I don't see how anyone ever saw it if it were in the water.

Comment

Hi Deb. That is a dandy find for sure. It does look like an Agate Basin. Too bad the flaking technique can't be seen. Guess that happens when it gets rolled around in the surf for umpteen hundreds of years. It's hard for me to determine whether it is flat or biconvex in cross section.
        Last edited by sailorjoe; 08-15-2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          It's the latter. I just take a photo just yet as its pouring rain. Does that help with ID?

I never had one in my collection and don't think I ever knew anyone in my area who said they found one so I am in no way an authority on AB's. But having said that most of the pictures I've seen indicate that most (but not all) are elliptical/biconvex in cross section and the written descriptions bear this out. Many have colateral flaking but some also exhibit random flaking. Of course most evidence of flaking technique is eroded on your point. As far as I'm concerned any 10,000 year old point is a great find.

Comment

• Havenhunter
          Havenhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I'm grinning now!! Love all the points but Paleo makes our hearts go pitter patter!

Hi Deb. Not all points that we call Agate Basin or think are Agate Basin points are Paleo in time or in cultural tradition. Many ate thought to be Trans. Paleo I know that sounds confusing. Rather than me going into detail to explain what I said, if you are interested then you may want to do a Google search about Agate Basin Points and the differences in the style of flaking, etc, etc..noted on points found in the east and those found close to the original Agate Basin Site in Wyoming. And age in itself is not necessarily an indication of whether an artifact is what we call Paleo. 10,000 year old points are not considered Paleo in the midwest or southeast but could be in the western states. The cultural tradition of hunting large game animals, many now extinct, may have continued longer into the plains area of New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming, etc than in the east where climatic changes were already forcing changes in cultural traditions. It's kinda like this: While a 10,000 year old Folsom point is considered Paleo in New Mexico, a similarly aged Dalton point found in Tennessee is not.

Comment

Awesome find Deb wow where on Earth was I?
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Havenhunter
            Havenhunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Were you traveling? This was last August. Or deep into your mojo?

Very nice. Congrats on the find.

Comment

Very nice find. I love Quartz points, unfortunately all I have from around here is a couple Big Sandys and a Copena. Most are small if not broke!😀

Comment

Working...
            X