Awesome tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome tool

This tool is one of my favorite. It was in the dirt with the agate basin. I believe that it is the near perfect example of a paleo tool. First, its made from the material just undeneath the outer cortex. Second, its a uniface tool. Third, the workmanship is amazing.. of course, i'm open to differing opinions, theories..middle of montana.
    Judith Basin, Montana

The first two pictures do not show the flaking well. I am glad I looked at all of them prior to comment. Nice scraper man. Thanks for sharing.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Neat tool Chad. It appears to be made on an overshot flake.

Comment

Wow that’s awesome !!!! Love it !!!!!!
        As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

Hi Chad, a dandy tool for sure. Uniface tools with that curvature are found on sites ranging from Paleo, to Trans Paleo to very early Archaic. At least that is the case on my old hunting ground in the Tennessee River area in north Alabama. 10,000 year old tool plus or minus a grand or two.

Comment

Finding a tool that old gives me pause. Where has it been all this time & then saw the light of day just so you could find it. Very cool!
            Child of the tides

Comment

• searchinghawk
              searchinghawk commented
              Editing a comment
              i agree that its early,,like a side scraper or large end scraper which are paleo

Love the tools and that is a very nice oldie.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Schweeeet!
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

Hey Chad, Nice scraper. That is some beautiful material and great pressure flaking. The shape is perfect except for something on the distal end (The wide end that did the scraping). Perhaps it's just the pictures but it looks like the distal end was broken or never finished?

The proximal end (smaller end) would have been hafted into a socketed handle. Pine pitch glue would hold it in place. The proximal end was often broken off during use but that end looks perfect on your scraper.

Last edited by Ron Kelley; 09-30-2017, 08:12 AM.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron,
                  its not broken. Sorry about the pic quality. It may not be finished but i think it was made just as intended. My reasoning is that the blade of the flake is so perfectly made and stops on both sides with perfect symmetry. Maybe he intended the outer rind to be the handle?? As a knapper you have far more insight than i do, just my opinion.
                  Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Hi Chad, Regarding how these tools were used. I had (alas, no longer) quite a few that looked very similar to the one you have. The main difference is the kind of chert. Mine were usually made of Ft. Payne or similar chert. When a pebble with a rind was used and those first blades struck off, it seemed that the rind was left on for the most part as is or that is what it looked like. After the outer rind layer was struck off the next tools made nearly always were chipped on all sides except the bottom/uniface surface.The tops were somewhat rounded which made their use easier and less wear on the hands or fingers. The longer tools we called end scrapers or side scrapers and the shorter ones thumb scrapers. I never saw any indication that they were hafted in any way, although I in no way consider myself an expert on Paleo tools, it seems to me that the ends were not shaped in a way that they could be hafted, socketed or otherwise. Your piece looks like it was not totally finished as most tools like yours were neatly finished all the way around. It could have and may have still been used in that condition. Why it isn't totally finished or does not look to be would be a WAG on my part. Perhaps the maker had problems knapping the rough end or maybe he/she figured it would serve their purpose OK.

Comment

• Cskelton
                      Cskelton commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds good to me. Its a beautifully made piece that just doesnt come through in the pics!!!

That is a sweet tool. .. thanks for sharing.
                    those tools are awesome.
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Your finds are always such a treat , can’t wait till the next .
                      Your yard is an archeologist dream come true / your family’s now .
                      I get to learn from all the posts on your finds .
                      Really nice thank you 👍

Comment

• Cskelton
                        Cskelton commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you Tam. I feel like i exhausted every avenue to get the archeology conmunity involved when i first relized what was here. There was no interest to say the least, so i made it a treasure hunt for myself and the kids!

Boy if you got hold of one of the colleges you might open up a can of worms you know .

Comment

It really does that awesome flaking, and must be paleo based on where you found it. Cool
                        South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                        X