Searchinghawk's New England Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searchinghawk's New England Finds

searchinghawk(Scott) is a member from Maine who is going to be sending me photos of his finds from Maine and Massachusetts. I've already added a nice quartzite Early Archaic New England variant Hardaway-Dalton point to the "New England Hardaway-Dalton" thread in our Native American Arrowheads, etc. section, and it's the first point seen here. I believe these are all from Massachusetts.

The lance with the tip ding is a Late Paleo Ste. Anne-Varney point. These are considered an Eastern version of the Eden point, and at the Varney Site in Maine have been dated to +10,600 cal yr BP. Shows early flaking style.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8550.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	268475

Name:	IMG_8552.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	268476

Rhode Island

Nice eared triangles from Massachusetts...

Name:	IMG_8551.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	268478

Rhode Island

Comment

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Scott informs me that Dr. Mike Gramly felt these might be Dalton related. Scott points out that the one on the right displays collateral flaking in fact. That is a clue. I have seen, and found, many of the single eared variant of our common Brewerton Eared Triangle, but not with collateral flaking.

Hey Scott, Those are some great NE artifacts. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Two more nice Massachusett's finds from Scott's collection. He pointed out that the quartz one resembles a Hardaway Side Notch, and I do notice it is identical to a short, resharpened, argillite example in Boudreau's sample of that style....

Name:	IMG_8560.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	268501

Rhode Island

Comment

Large quartzite lance from Sebago Lake, Maine. This one might be early....

Name:	IMG_8561.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	268509

Rhode Island

Comment

• searchinghawk
          searchinghawk commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for the input everyone,,yet to learn how to send picts to this site,,also when i read a new article and go back to front page the one i just read goes away and cannot find it again,, even looking through older pages,,this has frustrated ne for the 2 yrs i have been on this site,,dont know what to do,,cant see replies to things i have posted

Those are very nice Charlie. Why isn't Scott posting them himself?
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• CMD
          CMD commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure, Bruce. I know the letter M does not work on his keyboard, and he just expresses difficulty using the forum overall. He has only ever posted in a comment like this, often mentioned nice stuff, and I told him to email me some photos.

• 2ndoldman
          2ndoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          Kudos to you then Charlie for stepping up and offering to help him.

Awesome artifacts. Thanks for showing them. Flaking on number 2 is very nice.
        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Welcome Scott and some very nice finds. Even with the tip broken the Ste. Anne-Varney is a sweet find.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Great Finds love the small quartz Hardaway Side Notch.
            N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Man, some pretty amazing ones there! The one that really gets me is that Ste Anne-Varney. Despite the break it's incredible.

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah...me too. That one, despite being the 💔...it’s spectacular.

• searchinghawk
                searchinghawk commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks guys for appreciating the varney point,,nearly fell over when seeing it sticking out of the sand,,found flakes on this knoll a yrs back and revisited the site last fall at low water,,went back this spring and found a neville and not far away a dalton related point,,the flaking is incredible for sure,, usually they are found broken being long and thin very easily broken after being in ground for 10 thousand yrs,lol, for sure a find for life,, arter 35 yrs of collecting this favorite

I just looked at this thread. Thanks Charlie for what you've done to bring these points to our attention. It is, of course, a long way out of my area. But, HST, what I see looks like some trans Paleo artifacts if I found points like that in my old hunting grounds. There look to be some Dalton and Hardaway looking like points to me and the blade with what looks to have a slightly broken tip and base..who knows? It evokes several possibilities, all of them very old.

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, that one with the broken tip is a Ste. Anne-Varney, Late Paleo. I have a couple, but they are not personal finds.

What a nice collection! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing more. Welcome from SE VA!
              Child of the tides

Comment

I believe his computer has an older operating system and he has problems with some websites. Here's a great story about the Ste. Anne Varney with the broken tip that he found. After he moved to Maine, he hadn't searched in Mass for decades. After we got in touch through this site, I told him about a Ste. Anne Varney that I had just found in a certain Mass valley. He got inspired and made the trip down here and searched a different remote site that he knew about, and you guessed it.....He finds a very rare Ste Anne Varney!
                Last edited by clambellies; 10-20-2017, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Here are some pics that will complement what Scott has found. This side notched point might be thought of as a Brewerton at a quick glance, but it has obvious collateral flaking and resembles the problematic Hardaway Side Notched points in Boudreu's typology book. It came from a site where I've also found a few Hardaway Dalton triangles. This site is in the same valley as Scott's finds. Don't mind the broken tip - I dropped this point but have restored the tip back on since the pics were taken.

Here's another interesting little thing.....Notice that one little ear is not rounded but squared. Is it just a tiny snapped off piece or purposely made that way? Who knows, but Scott's points have one ear squared and so do a couple shown in Boudreau's Typology book.

Name:	hardaway side notched e.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	268810Click image for larger version

Name:	hardaway side notched f.jpg - 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	268811

Comment

• CMD
                    CMD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spitting image! Nice one, Alan!

Here's a Hardaway-Dalton found on the same site. It has a ground base. This one is rather slim compared to most Hardaway-Dalton's, but I believe it has been resharpened a few times. This point is from the same site as Scott's quartzite Hardaway-Dalton. Obviously an attractive spot for the early N/A's.
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	dalton b.jpg Views:	1 Size:	168.3 KB ID:	268814
                  Last edited by clambellies; 10-21-2017, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X