Kirk Serrated points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kirk Serrated points

I was at the Abbeyville South Carolina show this past Saturday and a friend of mine that usually sells points had a north Carolina collection and a Burke County Georgia collection for sale. In the Burke county collection was the Kirk Stemmed/ Serrated point on the left and I bought it because it was so much like the personal find on right. I seldom buy points but this one was an almost twin to my point and I bought it. Click image for larger version  Name:	100_5523.JPG Views:	1 Size:	140.2 KB ID:	272642
    South East Ga. Twin City

Hi Johnny. Dandy points you have there. And they look just like the ones I found in north Alabama. They may be more common in certain areas than in my old hunting grounds but they were kinda rare in my collection. I only had about 10 with different degrees of serrations shown due to the wear before resharpening. I'm glad to see you're calling them Kirk serrated as originally ID'ed by Coe in North Carolina instead of the nomenclature followed by the Overstreet guides (i.e. Kirk stemmed and Kirk bifurcated) which seems to be based only on whether the base is straight or if not then how indented/bifurcated it is. I don't know exactly what serrated points were made for whether they be serrated Kirks or Pine Trees but I always figured they were the steak knives of the times. Kinda like the purpose of serrations on some of our knives. But who knows maybe they were used to saw small pieces of wood. What I find most interesting about your points even more than size and shape is the apparent similarity in lithics both in color and degree of patination, although from the photo I can't be sure of either the natural color of the chert or any patina. Considering the proximity of Burke County to SC, do you think that the chert used was from the same geologic formation? Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

Not the best photo but the material in those points has not patinated that much. Here is a blade made out of the same material and the outlined area a flake was taken off this morning to show the difference in the patina which is not much. It is coastal plain chert and it is from the Allendale formation which goes across the Savannah River into South Carolina and is in Burke county Georgia also and runs down into Florida. There is some variations in the material, but is all coastal plain chert. These pieces are likely from Burke county though because there is a lot of the material where my point was found. Hope this answers your question. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5529.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	272649
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Cool buy, I'd have done it too lol.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Love the Kirks! A great find and a good buy.
          N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

That is awesom Johnny Love the teeth on those and I would have bought it too.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

How could you pass that up? Is is the twin! Congrats.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Beautiful points! Love those Kirks! Thanks for sharing!
                Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Yep , one of my favorites . Love the serrations on those .
                  Hope to find one some day . I have that same lithic here in
                  Webster county Georgia . Interesting feed back to Joe . I am going to look that up .

Comment

Two burners right there. Those are great.
                    Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Working...
                    X