New hunter first finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hunter first finds

Hello. New addict here. I live in central Colorado. It's and Araphao country. One of my goals moving here from the east coast in 01 was to find an Arrow head. Problem is I never knew where to look. Google is a wonderful thing. Furthermore for years I had heard about a series of pit houses out on the Colorado river about 20 minutes from here. After a crazy amount of detective work I managed to figure out where they once were. I found the dig report online and was able to work off that. I spent a total of three days in the area of the site. The first on an area recon with my sons 8-6. I found some pottery in the small drainage that comes from the site to the Colorado River. There is actually quite a bit. It's a thinner pottery thought to be more of a upper woodland type. According to the report.

The second day I was by myself and did a more detailed walking survey of the area. Trying to find the path of least resistance from the site of of pit house site to the Colorado. Second day I found some chip piles and a circular formation of large boulders on a terrace but just quickly scanned the ground.

The third day I decided to check the area on the other side of the dirt road that cuts through the area. It was then I made my first significant find ever. Jumped out at me. After staring at nondescript lavas and shale I found my first scraper. I didn't find much else. But I only had so much time and I could be seen. I didn't want to give anything away. And I was on public land and I didn't want the hassle. There was another area that the report said they only had funding to do a small dig. But surface material was plentiful. I started in the drainage in a branch that intersects with the one coming from the pithouse. Once I got to where they joined I got back up to surface level and started working back up hill. Almost immediately I started seeking scattered white flakes. I followed the trail of flakes until they stopped. I turned around to try again took one step and found what I think is what was going to be an Arrow head I'm open to suggestions. Distinctive flake marks on the sides. Ten feet away I found the next piece. I call it a master stone. Easy to carry and it has marks as if it was struck with another stone. I found this in a sea of shale and various lava. The last two pictures of Id like your help with. You can see the very fine tool marks along the edge. Was this some kind of saw?
    From the report evidence suggest it was a seasonal hunting camp attached to the Ute trail not far from there. However evidence also suggest that it may have been used long before the Utes were known to be in the area.
    Last edited by CoHunter; 12-02-2017, 02:58 AM.

You moved west just to find arrowheads? Wow. Unfortunately you are treading on thin ice. This according to CO law:
    The collection of any prehistoric or historic artifacts from public lands (federal, tribal, state, county or city) is prohibited except by qualified archaeologists working under the terms of a current permit. Collecting on private land is, technically, legal with the landowner's permission but is discouraged. Also, collecting artifacts of any kind found in association with human remains is forbidden, regardless of land ownership.
    Child of the tides

Comment

No actually I moved here to be a fly fishing guide and did that for several years. Secondly my understanding of the law is I can find them and take pictures. Yes I did keep some pottery as well as the white stone. However the amount of
      was pottery was quite extensive. Literally every bend or rock bar had several pieces.

that was a great welcome btw. I am fully aware of the laws and did my research as such. I am not interested in looting a site or filling my pockets to sell. But thanks.

Comment

Good to hear. Welcome from SE VA & happy hunting legally.
        Last edited by Havenhunter; 12-02-2017, 08:55 AM.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome to the site.
          Interesting finds. From the photo provided that doesn't look like pottery. Maybe more and better pics in natural light. One may be a scrapper the other looks like a waste flake, again hard to tell in those pics in that lighting.
          I'm confused, you understand the law yet you picked up pieces and brought them home?
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to Ah.com
            The pit houses you refer to are the Yarmony pit houses, named after the mountain they are around. the mountain was named after a Ute sub chief that traveled between Steamboat Springs and Statebridge area. Arapaho was a plains tribe and and rarely ventured into Ute territory which is a in the mountains that extended through parts of eastern Utah They were enemy's. Piutes Were to the southern mountains extending into New Mexico The Cheyenne were also a Colorado Plains tribe.
            The pics you are showing First I see no pottery. In that region of Colorado is Black to a Brown with sand as a bonding agent. The other pic's is hard to say from the clarity, Cannot tell if artifacts. but clear enough to say it is Kremmling Chert. There is no shale in the area the closes source I am aware of is west of Rifle Colorado.
            Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Oh It is illegal to collect artifacts on Public land. Where the pit houses are is public and the BLM office that oversees that area is out of Kremmling and take That activity very serious. It would be more that a hassle if caught collecting.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

CoHunter It's not right (Or legal) to steal a little bit no matter what you intend to do with the stolen goods.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Working...
                X