Fall/Winter Recent Finds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall/Winter Recent Finds.

This is my favorite time of year, always stuff to find. I'm going to post up the ones that I find to be the most interesting. As usual, some pics aren't the greatest and I may be missing an insitu here or there.

Anyway, one of my favorite sites got turned over recently and I had some pretty good luck. Seemed to be more productive than usual. I've heard other hunters talk about fields that may produce little one year, then a bunch the next year... I wonder why.

The picture doesn't show it, but this one was standing on a little pillar of dirt.

Little ding on the base, but otherwise a really cool one. Thought it was hornfels until I washed it. I still have no idea what the material is, even with the new expanded guide.

Unfortunate break on this tool.

Not sure what this piece is, a hole punch?

Only one from this next site. This is one of my favorite places to hunt because it gives up good pieces and it's so close by, but they never turned it over. I was feeling lazy one day and decided not to go out, then with about two hours left until sundown I had that feeling like I was missing out. I popped in there for a bit. Even though it was the old corn surface that I have hunted to hell, I still managed to find this guy.

Next site is a weird one. It's a small field that turns up quite a few flakes, but no points or tools ever unless you count the one broken tip Shedhunter found. Now please let me know if this is just a rock, but I have a strong feeling that this rock has been ground down. Take a look, what's the story?

A few here from an old reliable site, I'll be damned if I ever leave there empty handed.

Here's one heart breaker from a site that I like quite a bit. Sigh, this one stung. Nothing else from here unfortunately.

I took a trip over to the place where I found my first point. Now this is a tough spot to find anything really. The majority of trips I find nothing, I'm lucky if I leave there with a flake, and if I do find something, it's just ONE thing. This day I found three.

I hit both of these with the stick before I took the pics.

The little bit of quartz you see on this one was the only thing peeking out when I hit it.

And a very water worn one with a broken shoulder from the shore of the same site.

These last ones are my first finds from this next particular site.

Thanks to the new expanded typology I can discern that this is probably Hingham Rhyolite. I like this one a lot.

And this piece was a real heart breaker, I looked all over for the rest of it, but the area is pretty massive and the search felt futile. Maybe I'll come across it eventually...

And cleaned up.

I always appreciate answers to any questions I have, and thanks for looking!

Hi Metacom. Those are some really nice finds. What looks like to be a broken bannerstone is indeed a "heartbreaker", but, alas, that is what we usually find if and when we find bannerstones. Very few survived as whole, unblemished pieces. Thanks for posting these finds, and those pics you found in place are very much appreciated. My only suggestion to your post is that because of so many photos your use of the largest picture available is a bit over whelming. But that is just a suggestion for future posts and no ways any kind of complaint. Thanks again for showing your finds. They are some good ones. Congratulations!

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      Really? Are the pictures super large for everyone? They look like this on my screen (sorry if this is another giant picture)

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      That is some great stuff! The heartbreakers are always tough, especially the ones you came across.
      The pictures are great size for me. Only problem for me is, I have super slow internet so it takes awhile to load the pics up. It's worth it for the quality though. Thanks!

I don't know if they are super large for everyone. But they appeared on my screen twice the size of the ones you posted on your followup comments. Still no huge problem. I just have to do a lot of scrolling to see all the different pics.

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm weird, sorry about that.

I think the one u was questioning is just rock :-( .... but man I love that drill or punch
    As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      Drill or punch? so that's what that is?

Yea i believe it was used to drill or punch whatever they working on

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, ty

• OBION
      OBION commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm trying to send you a PM but it states your inbox is full.

• -=METACOM=-
      -=METACOM=- commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Obion, I sent you a PM.

Or to ingrave .... like to work bone

Everett Williams ,
    NW Arkansas

Comment

Very nice finds you have been busy! Check out this little point the tip resembles that quartz triangle you shared. Click image for larger version  Name:	qaz 012.jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.6 KB ID:	274999
      Click image for larger version

Name:	GslsUtj.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	275000
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• LucasBMylks
        LucasBMylks commented
        Editing a comment
        Your right Matt....and i scrolled all the back to see which one you meant only to come back and bang! Do you think it was re-purposed or was it made like that in the beginning? and if so why such a `pointy` piece...like G said as an engraver/awl?

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        In my honest opinion these were repurposed they probably had a need to scratch at something or do a ittle graving into wood or bone.

mine was found North Western CT.
      Last edited by Hoss; 12-04-2017, 10:18 PM.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
        -=METACOM=- commented
        Editing a comment
        Man that's cool! Are those common?

I’ve never even sniffed a drilled slate piece yet. Congrats and I hope you find the rest of it. The one heartbreaker with the white spots in it sure is a beaut. Awesome lithic on that one.
      Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Love your pictures great lithics , really great collection .I cant wait to walk a corn field . Going to ask permission this spring after it rains .
        Thats a lot of finds there . Don’t you get a kick out of the really primitive looking ones . Some points are so detailed and then others are not at all . Makes you wonder .

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
          -=METACOM=- commented
          Editing a comment
          I love walking fields, I try for trail spots and shore spots too. I've spent a little time around brooks here but I've never found anything in any of them

You have gotten some serious walking and finding in this fall, early winter. Some nice finds and congrats and hope you find the rest of the gorget some day
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
          -=METACOM=- commented
          Editing a comment
          I almost feel guilty if I don't get out there.

You got a load great finds there mate. I am envious...cant go out at the moment as no-where to hunt due to fields not being turned over.....leaves everywhere...and the ditches are full of water....and checkin out the stuff on here only makes me wanna go out MORE! (tears forming)
        If You Know Your History You Can Predict The Future

Comment

• LucasBMylks
          LucasBMylks commented
          Editing a comment
          Strangely enough i was just reading about bannerstones (again!) before reading this post. Do you think that your drilled piece could have been one?

• -=METACOM=-
          -=METACOM=- commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha, I've been there. I gotta do my hunting before the snow locks it down.

I believe it was a gorget ..

Everett Williams ,
        NW Arkansas

Comment

• LucasBMylks
          LucasBMylks commented
          Editing a comment
          more reading for me... thanks G

Thanks for that ride a long!!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Awesome stuff Mark, the slate piece kills me. That's an awesome find for sure.
          Matt, from Massachusetts

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
            -=METACOM=- commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks man, hopefully the snow doesn't hit us too hard this winter.
        Working...
        X