Squibnocket Triangle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squibnocket Triangle

On a recent post rain field walk I was trudging through some ankle deep mud, as some of us often find ourselves doing. I was walking a site where I have found some points ranging from 7,000 years ago to 3,500 years ago but nothing newer, and* maybe* some evidence of older points. I'll have to keep testing my theory to find out... with this being my first full season of point hunting I'm very excited about this site. Anyways I pulled a really nice point made of quartz which I believe to be a squibnocket triangle. It resembles a narrow isocoles version budreau included in the trypology guide. And I think he would have likely called it a squib, as I am. What do you think?
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Great finds. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      brewerton eared possibly,,i have bunch of squibbs,,i think this one brewerton related

Nice on both but the triangle is sweet.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Probably, but check for grinding on the base. If no grinding, might be a Squibnocket. Otherwise, could be another type.
      Rhode Island

Comment

If you're just going by shape, it could also be a Beekman....
        Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pointhead View Post
          On a recent post rain field walk I was trudging through some ankle deep mud, as some of us often find ourselves doing. I was walking a site where I have found some points ranging from 7,000 years ago to 3,500 years ago but nothing newer, and* maybe* some evidence of older points. I'll have to keep testing my theory to find out... with this being my first full season of point hunting I'm very excited about this site. Anyways I pulled a really nice point made of quartz which I believe to be a squibnocket triangle. It resembles a narrow isocoles version budreau included in the trypology guide. And I think he would have likely called it a squib, as I am. What do you think?
          I agree with Charl if ground probably not a squibnockett. Beekman fits too. What other types are you finding there? Ritchie describes finding them in association with Vosburg complex material. http://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/pr..._triangle.html
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

PS I know my term Slogging is not the correct term but I used that rather than trudging Trudgery sounds like such a bummer. LOL There is nothing bummer like about finding good points in a muddy field. I would do it every day if my lower back and knees would do what my mind wants them to do.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Pointhead
              Pointhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I need to find a better word lol!! The mud isn't always ideal, so I feel like my love for point hunting is carrying me through it! I'll check for grinding but it seems to come to more of a sharp base from what I remember. I'll look in the morning! I'm not sure if I've ever found a beekman.. and only have one vosburg to my name!!

Maybee a Snappit..

Comment

Every time I hear or see "Squibnocket", it makes me laugh. It has to be the coolest and funniest typology name I've ever heard of. Where did this term originate?😀
              Last edited by Pinetree1; 12-11-2017, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Or originated from the Squibnocket pond site on marthas vineyard I'm pretty sure..

Comment

• CMD
                CMD commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, that is the derivation of the name....

Those are nice, I like that triangle a lot. Lol, ankle deep mud is tough, I've had it suck the muck boot right off my foot, but it's all worth it if you find something. That's how I see it anyway. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
              X