One for the site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for the site

I found this one about 20 years ago on a point overlooking a creek. It's a Pinetree made of Harrodsburg chert that is several colors. It's the only pic I have right now. I will maybe get more in better light. It's from Allen Co., Kentucky, and is 2 3/4" long. You can add this to the site if you like. It's one of my favs. Enjoy, and comments are appreciated. Let's see some Pineys from your sites!
    Last edited by Pinetree1; 02-13-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      Captain Kirk!

• Pinetree1
      Pinetree1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Could be a Kirk, but we find Pinetrees with similar bases on the this site. This one does have the differences in the re-sharpening of most Pines, but it does have a medial ridge towards the tip. This material doesn't lend towards long, thin flake removal. I'm calling it a Pinetree, based on other points found in the area. Our Kirks are much thinner than these.Thanks for the comment though!
      Last edited by Pinetree1; 02-13-2018, 10:58 AM.

Exactly like some Kirks in FL. Makes me in wonder of the culture that existed for such a long period of time with same technology. They dominated. Would love to know about their religion, practices, etc.!!!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Nice point Pinetree. Do you see much of that lithic up your way. I don't recall seeing many posts with that material in it.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Pinetree1
        Pinetree1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! It's pretty common in this area. This piece is prob heat treated. I'll try to get some better pics so u can see both sides in some decent light.

• Scorpion68
        Scorpion68 commented
        Editing a comment
        The heat treatment may be what's throwing me off.

That's a beautiful example of the Pinetree type! About as good an examole as one could ever hope to find! I really love the type.

I've never found one personally, always has been on my wish list though. I use to own a few good examples of the type that I purchased. I lost them on a deal gone bad... I had the opportunity to buy an outstanding 4 1/2 inch Lost Lake at a price that you just don't see from the collector who found it and I hastily sold my Pinetrees to procure the funds for the purchase of the fabulous Lost Lake... I had to do whatever was nessacary to get this Lost Lake, just could not be missed. I don't have very deep pockets so I sold the Pinetrees and a few others got the money and the day before I was set to drive and meet the owner of the Lost Lake he called and told me he could not bear to part with it being a personal find and he was losing sleep knowing he was selling a once in a lifetime find. I honestly could not blame the guy but I really lost out on a few pieces that were really great examples...
      That's one of the woes of purchasing artifacts I guess, but what do you do if you can't get out and find them yourself lol? Anyways sorry for the rambling but here are those examples I cringe about when I think of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-23_23.47.31.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	285372

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Awesome! Love the Sonora one! Hell I love em all! 😀

Comment

That is a good example of the type and a beautiful specimen. I had a very similar one in my old collection but alas it is in the hands of another. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

Thanks to all of you! Let's see more Pinetrees! 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲😜🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

Comment

Here's another. About 2 1/2" and made of grey Hornstone from Allen Co., Ky!

Comment

• Pinetree1
                Pinetree1 commented
                Editing a comment
                The first was a Pinetree Corner Notch. This is your classic Pinetree. Y'all can add this one to the typology site as well! 😀

Cmon folks, let's see some Pines!

Comment

That is a spectacular piece.

Comment

Thanks G! I was hoping to get some people to share their Pinetrees, but it hasn't happened. 😀

Comment

Working...
                  X