Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good long weekend of relaxing and freezing my a** off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good long weekend of relaxing and freezing my a** off.

a few interesting finds from the farm. Probably the nicest small point I’ve ever found, a few decent scrapers/choppers, a broken drill, and some really cool pottery pieces.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Hey Jason, That small point is a real dandy. Is the pottery made from red clay?
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      No sir, it’s just shell tempered clay with a red ochre/iron oxide die mixed with the slip. It’s black as coal on the inside. The Quapaw here were famous for it, the reds are the most vibrant I’ve seen anywhere, and they last. Most of the polychrome I’ve seen are red/black/white., with the black being berry stains or charcoal, and the white being lead. The black is the hardest to preserve because it is completely organic, so you rearely see a good black specimen, but I find this red everywhere on the farm.

I like those two pieces in the upper left that appear to be choppers. Those really look old and worn or maybe it's just the dark color lithic. Nice either way. That little point is the kicker, serrated edges and all. Nice haul for the weekend. It's been raining here for so long I almost forgot what the sun looks like. But temps are warming up during the day and soon as it dries out a bit, I'm out the door to try my luck. Thanks for sharing your weekend finds with us Jason.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      The one in the far left is what I believe to be a broken scraper/chopper. I think about half of it is missing. The other one is just missing a little off one side....

Nice finds Jethro! Love those pottery shards! Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

On your own property, what dreams are made of. Do you find quite a few pot sherds? Ever enough to piece part of a pot together?
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, as a matter of fact I have. I have a few pots that are probably more Elmer’s glue than clay. 😳

Nice finds!
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks.👍

Awesome finds Jethro I love the bottom left pot shred in the last pic. It looks like the same pattern on the cover of my local NC ceramic book.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        That one...I picked it up solely because of the design. I see a lot of stamped and imprinted designs, but this was the very first swirl I’ve found on this place.
        I actually have a painted polychrome swirl, but I’ve never found an incised one.

Nice pottery shards-- something I've yet to find. Tam was sweet enough to gift me some of hers. That serrated point is a beauty. Looks like you bought a field of dreams!
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        All I need is an address and I will hook you right up with a wide selection of woodland through late Quapaw varieties.

Very nice!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you.😃

Cool stuff and yes that point is a nice one. I like the swirl on that one piece of pottery.
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Jethro , that is a sweet little point . You should post that when you have time up close . Where were you that almost looks like swiftcreek stamp on the dark piece of pottery .

Comment

• Jethro355
          Jethro355 commented
          Editing a comment
          East Arkansas, 40~ miles south of Memphis.
          I’ve seen the design before, justnever on this site.

And I will take a pic now...

Here ya go, Tam. 😃

Comment

I also wanted to post this....my buddy picked it up while we were wandering Saturday or Friday or Monday. I can’t remember. Anyway, I’m pretty sure it was used as a bow drill press-stone. The smooth wear is obvious. I know it was a fossil at one point because there are others in the same stone, but this one was either a mortar or a press stone...I’m almost certain.

Comment

Yeah that swirl design on the pottery is awesome!
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Jethro , that is just a wonderful find . Like you said your bestest small point . Serrations and a good base are my favorites .
              And don't you love forgetting what day it is . That’s a good trip when that happens .

Comment

Working...
              X