My Lucky Vosburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Lucky Vosburg

Other then a few nice quartz points, it's been 2 1/2 years since I found what I felt was a pretty decent point for these parts. At least I think it's been that long.

This morn, I was up early taking photos from Boudreau's New England typology of Brewerton Earned-Notched points that might pass for Vosburg points. I had been thinking of Hoss's new avatar point, a beautiful Vosburg, having only just seen his thread describing his discovery yesterday. He had talked about confusing it with a Brewerton, and I had posted in Hoss's thread Beaudreau's discussion of how easy it can be to confuse the types. I was considering posting those photos to Hoss's thread to show how easy it was to confuse the two. I have always had difficulty in that area myself, and so early this morning I was looking at Beaudreau's examples, as well as examples from among our own finds.

Anyway, after breakfast I took a ride to a local marina. A friend keeps his boat there, and I was wondering if he had put her in yet for the season. As luck would have it, he was there, and his boat was in, and he suggested we take a spin to one of the islands in Narragansett Bay. Maybe anchor, wade ashore and look for points? Well, I don't think you ever have to ask me that twice. I've never hunted those
    Islands before.

Within the hour we were wading into a nice looking sandy beach, and within an hour of arrival, I was looking down at this point. The blade was showing, but not the base, and it was in a solid mass of rocks. I've never seen the material before, and don't really know why I stooped down to pick it up. First "decent" point in a long time, and it was a Vosburg!

Lucky to see Hoss's thread, lucky to have Vosburg on the brain when I woke up this morning, lucky to bump into a friend and take a boat ride, and lucky to find a nice Vosburg. Sometimes ya gotta really work to catch a lucky break....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0717.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	303873
    Rhode Island

Hey Charlie, Congrats on a wonderful find. That point is a beautiful as your story finding it.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That’s a very nice artifact Charlie. Congratulations
      South Dakota

Comment

Well the luck of the Irish yes Sir . Would love to look st that under a microscope . Looks loaded with fossils .
        Love the story Charlie and a full-beautiful point .

Comment

I dont know about luck, maybe something else at work there.... glad to see you one the board...
          Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I hear ya. I'm a big believer in meaningful coincidences, what Carl Jung called synchronicity. Funny how things work sometimes.

Great find Charlie!
          Im not sure what it is called, or if it even has a name, but the material looks a lot like the spotted black felsite I find with a "tidal" patina.... maybe its just the pic. similar to this material perhaps (not a great pic, sorry)? Click image for larger version

Name:	April06_007s.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	303953

Comment

Hale Yeah!!!
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Awesome find Charlie!! Anyone would be proud of that find.
              Matt, from Massachusetts

Comment

Well if that isn't one of the prettiest beach finds I've ever seen. Congratulations dear friend!
                Child of the tides

Comment

Originally posted by Hunting_Dad View Post
                  Great find Charlie!
                  Im not sure what it is called, or if it even has a name, but the material looks a lot like the spotted black felsite I find with a "tidal" patina.... maybe its just the pic. similar to this material perhaps (not a great pic, sorry)? Click image for larger version  Name:	April06_007s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	207.5 KB ID:	303953
                  Usually, if I decide it's not chert, my default position for an unknown lithic is rhyolite. We have so many different rhyolites in our region, and I am only familiar with a few by sight and name. The material you are talking about, and showing, may be Marblehead rhyolite( virtually all our "felsites" are actually rhyolite, felsite just being a field name until chemical analysis determines if it is rhyolite or andesite). That does look like Marblehead Rhyolite.

Whatever the material on my point is, and it may in fact be a chert, the two sides are very different. That's almost always the case anyway, different patina on each face, but in this instance, the difference is especially striking, as seen in this view of the other side of my point. The white specs on one side are definitely in the rock, so that's pretty odd that the other side has none....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0720.PNG Views:	1 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	303974

Last edited by CMD; 06-13-2018, 02:46 PM.
                  Rhode Island

Comment

I like the point and the lithic material, my vote is rhyolite. It looks a lot like some of the really fine grained rhyolite here in North Carolina. Most of the rhyolite here in the coastal plain has a patina that makes it look grayer or lighter in color than your example, likely from our acidic soil. Some of my favorite points look very similar.

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks. When in doubt, rhyolite is my drop back guess. I'm comfortable with the easy ones, flints, argillites, quartzites, jasper and the ubiquitous quartz. Our new guide includes a lithic section with photos, and I'm familiar with the names of the most common rhyolites where I happen to hunt. Go a few dozen miles in any direction, and it changes, but they are all used region wide. I really like rhyolite, and prefer it to some more exotic lithics. I think collectors come to favor the lithics of their region over time.

Interesting material for sure.... drop that one in your pocket if we ever get around to getting a coffee (or beer) someday, i would love to see it in person
                    Last edited by Hunting_Dad; 06-14-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Will do!

Gorgeous point Charlie! The law of attraction I guess lol. Funny how things like that happen at unexpected and coincidental times. I would love to see what it looks like up there cruising the bay and island hopping for points, I'm sure its beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
                    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• CMD
                      CMD commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I need a boat of my own, Josh. This is the Ocean State after all. Well, that's our official state nickname. Sometimes it seems like half the state owns a boat....

Wow that’s a great find bud! Right on!
                    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Glad the dry spell ended on a reeeeeally nice point. Very nice, Chalie👍👍👍
                      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
                      X