My killer first point!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My killer first point!

I was walking a field on my property looking for chert to knap. We have a pond that was bulldozed last winter, and I saw a snapping turtle on the surface. I decided to wade in to catch it, but it disappeared before I could catch it. I started to walk back. As I was walking, I looked down, and there on the surface, was a perfect arrowhead. I screamed, danced, said bad words, all in the name of shear joy and excitement. I can't believe I found that on my property off all places! Now I want the whole place plowed and bulldozed! This is my first artifact that I found. I just looked again and it is translucent too!

Last edited by Kentucky point; 07-11-2018, 09:00 AM.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Wow, that's Awesome! I'd take care of that one.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

That's a good find! Many people hunt a long time and never find something as good as that. I love the insitu! My gut is saying Hopewell on that one, your northern KY right?
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. Carter county to be exact. I thought Hopewell too. I just think it was so weird for it to be sitting on the ground like that screaming, "LOOK HERE DUMMY!" My dad is still in shock, and I am giddy!

• Kyflintguy
        Kyflintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        No doubt! It's never happened to me like that, I'm usually crawling around on my knees begging the spirits to grant me a broke base when I do get to go lol. Good find!

It’s an amazing first find. Congratulations! There is most likely more there.
      South Dakota

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope and pray there is!

Now that’s a beautiful point in great condition .
      it happens ... I field walk and if it’s rained like it has that can be the result .
      What a beautiful lithic to boot . I share your excitement .

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        We had a terrific cats and dogs downpour that lasted for a half hour last week. I searched the site previously last month, but didn't find anything. I guess the rain revealed it.

Yes that is a killer first point congratulations!
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Hey Kentucky, That's a real nice point and most beautiful lithic material. Congrats
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Simply highlight and cut the url address of this thread and paste it within your post to that thread.
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Forgive me, I have no clue what a URL is. Is it the thing that begins with, https?

• Kyflintguy
            Kyflintguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep that's what I meant. Highlight, cut and paste to your post. If you have trouble I'll do it for you no problem.

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            I am so sorry, but I believe you will have to. I don't know the difference between a computer monitor and a washing machine. (Very strange this day and age!)

Right on man! That’s a wicked cool blade! Great pics too. Congrats awesome find!
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, very cool! It is also still sharp, and pointy. It could definitely take down a deer today. (Not that I would with it)

Congratulations!!! Better make sure everyone at home is okay with the bull dozer idea! LOL

Von

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably not, but it is still up for consideration... (evil laugh).

Thats a great point! Flawless chert! Keep looking after a rainstorm. You will probably find more and quite possibly...a paleo point!!! Thats my great white buffalo! Ive hunted for over 10 years and I have yet to find one.

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't worry man, sooner or later you will!

Nice find
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Sweet point man
            SW Connecticut

Comment

My guess based on its size is it may have been a knife.
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought knifes were bigger. My point is only 2 1/2 inches long. If it was a knife, because of its size, would it have been used for just regular cutting? Or was it used on the warpath for combat? I have seen a few knifes you made that have a short blade.

Great 1st arrowhead! Should always be special! My story goes... when I had been a little kid (and yes, young boy, mind you, because you may judge a little later on... lol), I found what my memory serves me as a "blue" one I instantly cherished, despite maybe being a bit chipped or broken (think I can recall being a bit disappointed about that, too, but at least think I had got over that part). That is, until, I overheard talk on my Dad having "planted" it or something to that effect, and - I guess out of principle, as I wanted this to have been MY find - in a fit pitched it out into the yard somewhere, as the story goes. Shoot, I can't remember, but my Dad still claims he never did plant that for me, and I found it all on my own. Never got into the hobby again until last year, but have been killin' it playing catch-up since (feel free to check out some pics within my previous posts)!

Comment

• Pointdexter
                Pointdexter commented
                Editing a comment
                That's great, man (or, young man? lol), and I'm sure by the time you're my age (late thirties), if you keep it up, you could easily - apparently especially in Kentucky - to amass a collection whereas mine would pale in comparison (my centerpieces include a beat up bannerstone and piece of pendant/gorget I'm quite proud of, though), though I plan on keeping it up, too

• OnewiththewilD
                OnewiththewilD commented
                Editing a comment
                Not an arrowhead, Wayyyy to big for an arrow, and too big for an atlatl, doesn’t look like a spear point, width,length, thickness...knife.

• Pointdexter
                Pointdexter commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotcha - I'm still in the habit of referring to a flint Indian artifact as an arrowhead. Layman's talk is all, like who I'm used to talking to.
                Thanks for the educational tidbit - I had thought maybe these were more like spear points, but can now see what you're saying.
                Last edited by Pointdexter; 07-11-2018, 10:18 PM.
            Working...
            X