No announcement yet.

My killer first point!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another clue to possible usage is how big the area is across the stem area. Is it small and arrow sized or big like a knife handle, like this Click image for larger version

Name:	E437472C-FFCD-4ABA-A0D4-6C6C0DE3BEBD.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	308156 ( I will admit it looked bigger in your hand to me than 2 1/2 inches) but my guess is still a knife.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      The widest point on the base (the bottom) is a perfect 1 inch. the thinnest part in the middle is 3/4 of an inch.

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Just got around to checking the thickness. It is in between 3/16, to a 1/4 inch thick

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Quick question: What is an atl atl?

That’s a great find! Thanks for sharing!
    Jackson County, Mo

Comment

An atlatl is a spear throwing stick.

Von

Comment

Take some pruning shears and cut a few saplings about a foot long, one pencil sized (arrow) one alittle smaller than yer pinky (atlatl dart) one pointer finger size or slightly bigger (javelin or spear) and one a little bigger than your thumb ( knife) Now any time you find a point hold one of them up to it to compair to the hafting area. The stick should be big enough to “fill” the stem areas width, and the thickness should be enough to accommodate it as well without being too bulky. Mind you, these are just my observations as a hunter and modern primitive tool maker, I’m sure other people have other opinions, and always remember anything i tell you is just my opinions, as these are just generalizations I’m talking about here anyway.
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great idea! I will go out later and try that!

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          OK, I couldn't wait, so I cut up already. The one that matches the hafting area the best (like your picture above), is the stick slightly bigger than my thumb. So it has to be a knife then. Thank you for this great idea!

A find like that would make my year, that's a good one man, congrats!

Comment

Kentucky , did you ever figure out what lithic this was . It’s really nice and I would love to know just to learn your area .
          Thank you
          T

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            No, not exactly. I have been walking my fields again and the only chert I have found is red, brown, and some with a dark blue hue. I have seen a similar lithic in my overstreet guide, so I have to go back and look.

We have a really nice lithic section on this site .
          I bought a mineral and gem book and a microscope and still am a minnow in a sea of sharks .

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            I even asked around here, but not to many guesses have been offered. For some reason, I think this material is not from around here. Maybe more down South or something, because I can't find anything local that looks like that.

Is it a baby blue ? I’ll check out some pages . Heck Ron or Johnny will know . Just ask

Comment

Its hornstone I'm nearly positive. That's a very fine first point. I thought it looked like a Lowe.

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought lowe initially, but it looks more "Hopewellish" than anything. I come across hornstone occasionally, but nothing like this. I think it came from a different region from a traveling hunter, because I can't find anything here that remotely matches.

I'm thinking maybe Bangor chert
          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Broken Arrow
            Broken Arrow commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw it. Hoss's call of Haney is a pretty good one too.

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you see it today? I added photos of other cherts. My only problem with Haney is that it is mostly brown and has those oolites in it. Mine does not have those, and is a bluish gray. I am not trying to be contradictory, but I just think it is something else.

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats on find of the month btw. Awesome point!

Hey guys, I do not want an endorsement, nor do I want you to vote for me because I asked you too, but Find of the Month is going on right now. If you found something cool in the month of July, enter it. I am the only one entered right now, and I would like to win fair and square against someone else. I do not want a win handed to me.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I would take the challange but I am in Hawaii now . Won’t be there till Nov .

Comment

Working...
        X