Cobble knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobble knife

Was cleaning up around the root hole today. This popped out. I dont think the pics do it justice. Knife made from a quartz cobble. We find quartz hammerstones and i imagine this was one they broke and repurposed. Really cool and pretty in hand. 5 1/2 inches.
    Judith Basin, Montana

Hey Chad, That's a beautiful and interesting artifact. I don't know what they used it for but I could certainly flesh out a hide with that.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Ron isn’t that first one like a turtle back scrapper ?

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Tam, No this is not what is referred to as a turtleback scraper.

That is an awesome artifact Chad I think Ron is on to something perhaps it was a large scraper for fleshing hides.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice artifact dual porpoise a bone marrow extractor and flasher the site is a kill site dropped and killed on site prossed on site you take the nessasary parts and move back to camp
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
        OnewiththewilD commented
        Editing a comment
        A porpoise,a bone marrow extractor and a flasher walk into a kill site, stop me if youve heard this one....lol

I was leaning towards scraper myself. I’m guessing it did a little cutting and scraping.
      South Dakota

Comment

Nice artifact what ever they used it for, I always like to find artifacts made from unusual materials.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

That is so weird! I have never heard of anything like that. Great find!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I have found the same type of tool made from the cobbles here in the last couple years. I threw in some pics of a couple. The first, is nearly identical in manufacture, except that it is only sharpened on one side. It reminds me of an Ulu knife from alaska. The second is a little different as they nearly knocked all the cortex off in making it. I think its worth mentioning that we dont have cobbles anywhere near here. They would have had to transport them several miles in any direction. Middle of montana.
            Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Very nice! You can tell for sure that it was worked.
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Love that material Chad. You can tell it was used for cutting or scraping. I'm always looking but never find stuff like that around here. Nice artifacts.
                Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Nice tool .

Comment

If you get a chance, look up Spanish Diggings quartzite in Wyoming. East central Wyo. There's tons of cobble quartzite with tons of chipped debris scattered over a very large area. Very colorful quartzite. I camped at that quarry for a couple days, and there's cobbles like this strewn all over the place. Some of the cobbles were only bifacially chipped around the entire perimeter. So I sat there with cobble in hand and pondered, why are there so many that aren't finished any further than just a sharp edge treatment? And, for real folks, I saw a jack rabbit sitting under a sage bush about 15 - 20 yards away. I threw three cobbles at him, I got lucky with the third one. I had jack rabbit on an open pit fire for supper!! Not that these were intentionally used in such a manner, but being sharpened cobbles, they have weight and balance, and the sharp edge kills very nicely!! I'm sure though what you have Chad are larger butchering tools. You should be finding some preserved bones.
                    Last edited by pkfrey; 08-10-2018, 12:09 PM.
                    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Cskelton
                      Cskelton commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The bones are everywhere. Most all broken for the marrow. Lots of teeth though.

• pkfrey
                      pkfrey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bison bones? Maybe you did mention this in another post, I don't remember seeing it.

Originally posted by pkfrey View Post
                    Bison bones? Maybe you did mention this in another post, I don't remember seeing it.
                    Yep. Found a few tools they made from them also.
                    Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

That's really neat.

Comment

Working...
                      X