No announcement yet.

Absolute Smoker of a Big Sandy!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I adddd the You Tube link above but figured I would put it in the replies as well. Nevermind the corny narriating, I was just trying to send good vibes.

Video:

Additional pictures with better lighting

Click image for larger version

Name:	AF7719C0-EEF7-43EC-8541-8A1B24C3118F.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	325962 Click image for larger version

Name:	4CEA136E-D4BF-4007-948D-9CE38942FB39.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	325961 Click image for larger version

Name:	A8A49DD7-1700-4E0F-9703-08D600FA74B0.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	325955 Click image for larger version

Name:	11607747-E836-4C4C-903C-02A4AA7A7050.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	325958 Click image for larger version

Name:	A70F6681-1EC4-4A9D-9C40-12E446EC4832.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	325959 Click image for larger version

Name:	42E8DFCA-ACCC-454F-ACDA-6A5FE8162985.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	325956
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MidTennHunter; 10-16-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the video. At the end it looks like you did a backflip. That's the reaction I would expect.

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Gezzzzz

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, no back flips here. I remember walking as careful to the truck as possible with it in my front shirt pocket. The reason being, I found one about a month ago and I went to open the truck door and dropped the point and it chipped the tip. I was taught a big lesson and said that will never happen again!

Wow...a dream come true right there!

Comment

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Your exactly right!

WOW! I would have past out! Congratulations on one heck of a smoker!

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost did, especially when I pulled it. Thanks!

Whoa dude !!! A sandy sandy...a dandy sandy...that deserves a frame of its own...glad it survived the track hoe...awesome
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it would look good in a frame by itself. Good idea. And to be honest, I was totally not expecting it to be whole.

Nice pooint can I have it? LOL well I mean when your done with it I would be willing to take care of it for you. Lucky dog. I am in awe of that smoker.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• MidTennHunter
      MidTennHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry but I actually don’t get rid of anything so hopefully my son will enjoy this hobby like me and he can take care of it one day. Thanks and yes I have been very lucky!

May I outdo Hoss, by trading for a lifelong supply of Doritos?

Comment

Ahhh looking at that monster again . That has to be one is the top 10 finds of the year on this site . Anything I find in Georgia will be shadowed by this ...

Comment

• MidTennHunter
        MidTennHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I really appreciate your statement. Each and every one are all great in there own way.

Killer point!

Comment

I could hear the excitement in your voice while you were praying for it to be whole.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• MidTennHunter
          MidTennHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah and I didn’t realize how hard I was breathing until I heard it in the video. Thanks

Your words summed it up perfectly. "Oh, my gosh. It's whole"!

Comment

• MidTennHunter
          MidTennHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll never forget that moment!

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          When you find a killer like that, you won't forget!

Made by a master, outstanding!!! Congrats!!!
        New Jersey

Comment

• MidTennHunter
          MidTennHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I totally agree with you. Thanks

Congratulations on finding that absolutely amazing point!
        I can’t stop looking at it, just crazy!
        It’s a work of art!

Jeff

Comment

• MidTennHunter
          MidTennHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I appreciate it, I keep doing the same and can’t believe I’m the one that found it. I’ve been lucky!

I just saw your super, duper dandy point and want to add my congratulations to your congrats pile. Yes a super find, indeed! And your photos are outstanding as well. I have a couple of questions and perhaps comments regarding the point. Is the base ground smooth or is not ground? What is the cross sectional shape? ( elliptical/biconvex, flattened, plano-convex etc.) Although there have been, according to the literature, some Big Sandys from the Big Sandy site itself as large as 90mm (31/2 inches) most by far are small to medium sized points. This one if it is one is unusually large for the type. Another point type that bears a strong resemblance to the one you found is Osceola. Although Osceolas are usually found much farther north they have been found as far south as northern Alabama as reported by Cambron in his classic work "Handbook of Alabama Archaeology". There is one illustrated that he found in Morgan Co., Alabama. I had a couple in my former collection from North Alabama..Osceola points are typically much longer than Big Sandys and are more often in the four to five inch range. The bases can either be ground smooth or left unground. Big Sandys are usually biconvex/ellipitical in x-section while Osceolas are flattened. I'm not making a call as to type. I'm just tossing out some facts you may wish to consider before making a firm call. Cambron thinks Osceola may be related to what he calls the Big Sandy Complex. Regardless, it is a beautiful point.

Comment

• MidTennHunter
          MidTennHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry for the late response, I really appreciate your comment that is full of information. I am a rookie but I would call it elliptical with light grinding on the tang, nothing on the base. I just assumed Big Sandy with the side notches and when I googled pictures of them I saw some bigger ones. After reading it looks like they are mis typed as well. Thanks for guiding me in the right direction and giving all the info you provided.

• sailorjoe
          sailorjoe commented
          Editing a comment
          Big Sandys can be ground lightly, ground heavily or not ground. It seems that one of the really distinguishing characters between the two is the much larger average size of Osceolas and their flattened x-section. Of the two characters that I think would be more important in making a call I think x section form is likely to be. I would love to handle it. Big Sandy's are one of my favorite types I had 60 of them in my former collection and none of them anywhere near as large as yours but I had several smaller ones just as well made.

That’s winning bigly right there!!

congrats man!
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

That's a heck of a Big Sandy find, congratulations and thanks for sharing this beautiful knife!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• MidTennHunter
          MidTennHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for having a look, and glad to share it with everybody! I am very lucky to have it.
      Working...
      X