Finds of the fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finds of the fall

A few finds have rolled in as the rains overtook southern New England! I took to the fields, and the shorelines of Narraganset bay to hopefully make some finds. I also have a few to share from my new creek which sadly has been running hard with all of this rain :/. I guess all good things come to an end. Even if it’s just temporary.

Starting with an exciting find, which looks as if it could be an old knife or spear point? The flaking appears to be very delicate and deliberate. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. Charlie jay and I have spoken about this piece, and we’ve come to the conclusion that it could be early.

Next is the red rhyolite bifurcate, a find that I truly never thought I would make. When I picked it up, I was looking at the point all wrong, and even asked my hunting partner if he thought it was a turkey tail... well he must’ve wanted to crack me across the head, because we were both looking at an obviously broken bifurcate.

next find, is a unique little triangle, that saw plenty of resharpening through its life span.. a happy find, and a day saver in my fields. From the same spot I also picked up the quartz point which could be a bare island, wading river or orient related point, but I think it’s likely I’ll never know for sure.

and last but not least I have a heartbreaker from the sea. A heavily worn fox creek base, which would’ve been a beast of a knife! Sad that it’s broken, but I was happy to have found it! This find represents one of my best beach finds to date, so I’m very happy to have picked this piece up!

Thanks for looking! Happy thanksgiving,

Ben
    Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Very nice finds! If you look at that bifuricate right, it kinda does look like a turkey tail. But not much. :-) Those blades, even broke, look very cool. Glad to see ya back out there and finding stuff!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Great looking finds Pointhead I really like that bifurcate.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Hey Ben that blade does look early...bifurcates are rare finds up here....Nice triangle...that little quartz point is cool...and yeah the Fox Creek is def a heartbreaker....the edges look pretty sharp for being s beach find no?.... Those are all sweet finds for the fall..congrats .. Red
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Pointhead
          Pointhead commented
          Editing a comment
          The fox creek was freshly washed out of peat eroding Oj the tide line of an outflow in the bay. It doesn’t take much of a pounding in the surf like an open beach would. I guess I should say it’s more of a brackish find.

Man that knife is a true HB glad you were able to get out and thanks for sharing your finds
        NW Georgia,

Comment

I'll always wonder what the trade, or cultural, or both rationales, or rationales I can't think of, were behind the Fox Creek makers in southern New England's appreciation for Lockatong Argillite from south of here. It seems like a material inferior even to our local/regional argillites, and certainly they were willing to use others of our local materials. Quartzite is common enough for many of the Fox Creeks we have found, and some rhyolites. So it has always made me wonder. Whoever made these points here in RI and Ma must have maintained close ties to sources in NJ and Pa. Nice finds.
          Rhode Island

Comment

Nice finds, Ben!
            Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Wow man, you found some honey holes. What's the material on that large one, is that chert?? Really cool piece. Good finds man.

Comment

• Pointhead
                Pointhead commented
                Editing a comment
                The large broken one is a puzzler, jay thinks it’s along the lines of a hard nantasket argillite I think it’s more of a chert/flint..

• -=METACOM=-
                -=METACOM=- commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome piece whatever it is, the grind paid off.

Originally posted by CMD View Post
              I'll always wonder what the trade, or cultural, or both rationales, or rationales I can't think of, were behind the Fox Creek makers in southern New England's appreciation for Lockatong Argillite from south of here. It seems like a material inferior even to our local/regional argillites, and certainly they were willing to use others of our local materials. Quartzite is common enough for many of the Fox Creeks we have found, and some rhyolites. So it has always made me wonder. Whoever made these points here in RI and Ma must have maintained close ties to sources in NJ and Pa. Nice finds.
              Charlie this is a good train of thought that hadn’t yet crossed my mind.. I would be willing to bet that, yes. They likely did have some direct ties with the sources of lockatong argy.
              Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

The Fox Creek is awesome. Sorry it was broken though. Perhaps you will find another
                South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                X