Lucky find of the day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky find of the day.

Took a walk in the field behind the house today. Wasn't finding much, several small flakes, pulled a pretty scraper and a smallish preform looking piece. On the way back in I got really lucky. Was walking back to the house through an unturned field that was planted with beans this past summer. It was covered in the stalks and chaff that was left by the combine. I was almost back to the house, not paying much attention to anything, when I spotted a bit of red hiding under the refuse. Turns out it was a point! I was very surprised and happy. No idea how I spotted it or how it wasn't damaged by the plow or tires but I'm glad to have it. Thinking it may be a Robbins or maybe even a Burkett. What do y'all think? Click image for larger version

Name:	1125181439.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	334074 Click image for larger version

Name:	1125181036a.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	334075
    Attached Files
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

It has some pretty rough percussion and looks like it was resharpened at the top 1/3 of the point. Tough to get an idea of the cross section due to the nature of the flaking but if I had to put a designation to it, I would call it flattened.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking point

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. Thanks for looking

I think it's incredible! Awesome! I don't know how you saw that..

Just like me. Pure, dumb luck.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      This really was pretty much pure luck. I know about how far in the field they are and I was just walking at about the depth they are. I was making a b line to the house and it was right in the path I was taking.

Wow...as you know any redrocks are mine...haha. . BA that's sweet man . congrats...cool insitu
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol. This one is just about as red as they get and it is filled with tiny bits of crinoid fossils.
      Last edited by Broken Arrow; 11-25-2018, 06:37 PM.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Fossils too ? That's even more sweet

It is a pretty sweet piece other than the flaking being kinda rough but I can't complain. I'm quite impressed at the workmanship, given how tough the lithic is. I've tried to work some of this stuff and it isn't easy.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Nice find for not looking. Really hidden, good eye.
      SE IA

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I guess I have my eye trained for spotting color differences in the field.

Wtg !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, JJ!

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Man I wanted to get out today myself but a cold front with 60 mph wind and sandstorm shut me down.. I love the sandstorms, they blow the artifacts up !

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        That's wild, I can't even imagine what a sandstorm would be like! I look forward to seeing what you find when you get back out. We got some pretty good rain today and the winds were quite strong here as well. Suppoused to be pretty cold here this week but I'll still be out there in the fields.

I gotta say, that’s a great find. You know as well as the rest of us, whole ones are getting fewer every day....👍👍
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Jason! Yeah, as far as surface finds go, it is a race against time and the plow. I've been on a tear here lately, I hope my luck holds out. Not much can keep me from point hunting, gotta get em while we can.

Really nice Point!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Josh! Any opinion on type?

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure, maybe Burkett.

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        That was one of the two types I was considering, with he other being Robbins. I think I like Burkett better though.

Broken Arrow, good eye! Outstanding point made of beautiful material! Congrats!
      In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. -John Muir

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Sharp! I think it is variegated jasper from a cobble.

That’s really a nice find!
      South Dakota

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Gary!

Absolutely lovely piece!!!
      New Jersey

Comment

That's a beauty .How did you see that?!
      South Carolina

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Bean can be hard to look on I actually avoid them fields. Ive found out that cattle corn is even tougher to look on after the harvest. Takes a keen eye to spot one in those field types.

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Josie-I've got a very keen eye when it comes to spotting color differences and other anomalies..that and I just walked right up on it. A little luck and a little natural skill.
        Last edited by Broken Arrow; 11-27-2018, 08:28 PM.

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Surfacehunter- Bean, corn and wheat fields are the norm around here. That's all I hunt other than the occasional creek. All of them are hard to hunt if they haven't been turned after the harvest. You're right about corn being really tough to hunt after the harvest. Almost not worth the time to hunt an unturned field unless you know where to look.

Hey BA that’s a good find . Like Jethro said the wholes are getting less . It’s that red and the dirt that pops out . What a pleasant surprise indeed .
      What kind of lithic to do think that is ?

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks , Tam. I think it is jasper.
    Working...
    X