My first piece of soapstone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first piece of soapstone

When I was up in Rhode Island back in September..with Jay and the guys at our Southern New England AH.com meet up I was telling Jay I never found a piece of soapstone in 17 yrs of kicking ...and he gave me small oval piece he found at a quarry up there.....but i Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181124_141140.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	334223 just found Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181124_141309.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	334224 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181124_141637.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	334225 a cool piece Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181124_215844.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	334226 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_104049.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	334227 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181126_104115.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	334228 down my river spot didn't know what it was till I got it home and washed a corner and scratched it...I thought it was a cement yard ornament
    SW Connecticut

Super find. I have never found even a sliver of it. Nice piece.
    SE IA

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks OR....I'm thinking about taking my Small trowel and poking round near where it was real careful like....cuz there's some erosion going in and I don't wanna cause any more... But I want more of that bowl man

Sweet! What are you going to do with it?
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Man I don't wanna clean it with my tap water it's got fluoride and chlorine in it...I sent pics to Matt...texted him andd that's how I found out bout his mom. .hes here in Connecticut. Did u see my post on thoughts prayers and stuff?

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not see that post. I'll check it out.

Do you think it was part of an artifact?
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Man, I'd like to find a piece that size. Do you think one could find it in Pennsylvania, or is that just a Rhode Island thing? At any rate, nice piece!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks KP..NAs started using soapstone in the late archaic period....3 to 5 thousand yrs ago...yes you can find it where you are.. the eastern U.S....is where much is found...Matt says it's rare finding pieces and this is the rim piece of a big old bowl to me it's a significant archaeological discovery...my 3 kicking buddies all have small fragments....but this is my first piece in 17 yrs of kicking

It's a piece of the rim of a 15 pound bowl ...steatite...NAs made bowls of soapstone before clay fired pottery.......and clay pottery started in woodland era ...3000 yrs. This piece weighs. A pound...
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! I thought it looked like the rim of a bowl.

Very nice, my first thoughts were “bowl rim” also....that is wicked cool👍
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• BabaORiley
        BabaORiley commented
        Editing a comment
        Same thing here dude...it looked just like that to me also.

Great find Red! That would have been a big ol’ stew pot for sure! Definitly poke around that spot more!
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Thanks Jay it's only a piece of the rim but I'm stoked with this first piece of soapstone
        SW Connecticut

Comment

It's a great find for sure. I found a few pieces of broken soapstone pots back in the 1960's and 70's. Some rim sherds but most were broke bottoms or sides. It was very rare where I use to hunt in the Tenn. River area of north Alabama. I don't believe there were any local sources of steatite so I figured the pots must have been made somewhere else and brought there. I usually found them associated with middle Archaic shell middens that eroded out of the river bank.

Comment

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks sailorjoe.its rare here in SW Connecticut too...I wanna find more of that pot...raining here for two days do maybe?

Nice big piece of soapstone I have found 3 pieces still have 2. I gave one away in a trade. My last piece which was this year has a drill hole in it. When I blow yours up you can see the chisel marks on it from them carving it out. The pieces here are rite around 5000 yrs old
          Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 11-26-2018, 09:27 PM. Reason: info
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Good info on the drilling thanks.....yeah if you want to post yours in here cool id like to see em

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Thats nice of you to offer but really I dont want to take away from your find so we can wait then do the post together with others finds.

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Alright SH..it's all good brother. We will do it I do appreciate your consideration
            Last edited by redrocks; 11-28-2018, 05:59 PM.

I would be really tempted to poke around that spot and see if there is more of it there. If the soil isn't too rocky, a metal probe might help you find more of it before it washes into the river. If it's soft and muddy, a straitened coat hanger can help you find stuff a few inches down.

Aside from being fragile if you drop it, soapstone is about as stable as it comes. It's inert to any household cleaning chemicals you might have. Household water won't hurt it (acids and alkalis don't etch it) if you want to rinse it off. I'd be careful about rubbing it too hard if there is still sand or grit on it, that might scratch up some of the surface.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Appreciate your advice I'm gonna clean it up do I won't use the old toothbrush...was worried about tap water changing it. ...it's got a green blue hue to it. Just was worried about city water thanks man
            SW Connecticut

Comment

Hey Red, Congrats of that soapstone bowl/pot find. It seems likely that there would be more pieces close by.
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• redrocks
                redrocks commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ron I'm hoping can't wait to get back there. I been hoping for some soapstone for a long time . And to get a nice rim like this...Is awesome I'm gonna remove dirt real carefully.. I can't believe how waxy it feels

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Red, Grind it and you have talcum powder.

That sure was a large pot at one time. Real cool find man...
              The chase is better than the catch...
              I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• redrocks
                redrocks commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Baba that piece weighs over a pound...I'm liking it a lot
            Working...
            X