3 hour walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 hour walk

I had to spend some time with the wife then by 1pm I was free as a bird. I hauled it to the fields to try and get a walk in before the hunters might want to go. I have permission but I try to respect the hunters if any are out there this year. Havent seen any yet but sure dont want to make them mad so I stuck to the higher fields away from the creek. Found a couple pieces of worked flint which look to be heat treated by the colors didnt workout for them so they tossed it. As I bent over to look at a piece of debitage I saw the blunt barely sticking out of a dirt clod. I had a person at the last show tell me these types were used to kill birds with the rounded end and when it hit a goose (which we have) it would do much more damage than a regular point. Of course it makes sense but who knows. Then I found the white one I thought finally a point then of course it was a flake knife but I do enjoy finding them. No points today but maybe next time. I also had another scraper but my dog got it before I saw her what a little devil she is, no telling where it is rite now hopefully I dint find it with my foot. I am also adding a nice Adena knife I found early this year in the lower field. Hope others can get out. N GA surface finds, SurfaceHunter Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13443.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	334675 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13449.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	334676 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13208.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	334677 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12883.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	334678
    NW Georgia,

Hey Glenn, Nice finds and that sure is some beautiful material.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks never know what colors you will find

Nice finds SH...colorful Flint alright!...are we sure the blunt isn't a hafted scraper?.....that Adena is mad cool... Good day of kicking
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive heard them called stunners to its my 1st one ever I have found like it.

That's a nice day. And second photo, whow that's nice gray material. Agate? Chalcedony?
    New Jersey

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I do find Chalcedony sometimes but the one you are talking about is a type of Chert when whole it has a red smooth surface but inside is a red and grey almost like a grainy flint close to quartzite. I find cobbles of it in the fields and they liked to use it.Now the carmel piece has red in it and has the texture of Chalcedony slick feeling.to it. Id like to find the point they were making from that rock.

Good day with some nice colorful finds.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Way to go man. keep at it. That is a cool blade
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

I’m with ron....you have some beautiful lithics there!
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Im not disagreeing with you but I have seen the black flint growing in the huge limestone rocks in the creeks. Now maybe its grows inside of them I have no idea. I tried to pull a big one off but it was solid. I didnt have a hammer and that was a couple of years ago Im sure its moved by now with the floods we have had since then. Good info and thanks for the reply.

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry J...for some reason I thought I was responding to Broken Arrow and was talking about where he lives, not where you are. I’ll shut up and sit down now.👍👍

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Its okay dont worry about it

That's some cool lithics! That knife is awesome! Lot of color to it.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks I enjoy finding it. I love all the colors we have here.

I want your puppy !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        You know it was given to me for free. Owner couldnt keep it so I took her. She is a miniature pincher but what I can tell that breed is a mix of chawaha and pincher spelled that wrong for sure. Very hipper and needs a lot of attention.I named her Stinky which is funny to me but its the only name she will come to.

Nice find!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks we just got another real hard rain might have to hit that area again when it dries out. One of the rules is I cant walk the area when its wet. There was still a bunch of dirt clogs that hopefully the rain knocked down.

Very colorful on that last one. If it was used as a scraper, it may show use wear on the end. Little step fractures.
      South Dakota

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I found it in a Adena site its a small knife. I do find scrapers out there but most are oval

What lithic is that knife ? It’s beautiful. Now see I like those tools as much as a point .
      The black at the bottom with gold .

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried to get some other pics today its overcast of course. Ive never seen such a rainy year as this one more rain coming tomorrow and had some today while I was walking a creek.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13453.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	334870 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13456.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	334869
      NW Georgia,

Comment

So different for a Georgia lithic I love it . I never see black it’s almost like an obsidian but not . Really like the edge work on that .
        Yeah the most rain we should check YTD . That combined with that hurricane and we had 100’s of trees down . But most were old or dead . Only the oldest and strong survived .
        it actually was good for our property to me .

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I find mostly black its my favorite color to find. I do find quartz and quartzite also. I call it Flint Ridge Chert and Hoss calls it Ridge and Valley Chert so Im not sure maybe its the same but its very colorful. I find all colors of it on that blade there is some Lavender in certain spots that didnt show well. The only color I havent found is much green I have a couple of green and black like my avatar but not much. I did another post asking about a certain creek I look in and there is a nice cobble I found today.

Hey are your creeks sandy ? Mine are and I never find a gravel bar .

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine is a mixture of sand more sand than normal this year with the high water but there are some nice gravel bars to look on when the water is low. I live near the Etowah Mounds in Bartow county. Of course you cant get to close to them when looking. There is a creek I have permission to look on that flows to the mounds but even though its 3 miles away I get the feeling some dont want me there and have had comments from men I dont know while looking saying they have called the law. I went to the Sheriffs office and they said it wasnt true. Maybe they are fellow collectors and dont have permission like me. On your creek if you take a beaver stick and poke the sand you will feel the hard pan that is where your points are the sand is covering them up. Has to be a good current to have gravel bars in a creek.
      Working...
      X