Finally found a quartzite point.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally found a quartzite point.

I find a ton of quartzite on three of the sites I hunt but most of it is in squarish chunks. The white quartzite I found seems to have been utilized for tools but I find alot of darker grayish colored quartzite and that is what is usually in chunks. I believe the darker stuff is robidoux orthoquartzite and I've always wanted to find a point made out of it and today I did. It is missing a bit off one of the shoulders but I like alot. Undecided on the type. Thinking an adena variant or possibly a table rock. Here it is. Click image for larger version

Name:	1128181707a-1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	334707
    Attached Files
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Insitus.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Hey Andrew, Nice find, That is some tough material. Beautiful too.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        It doesnt look heat treated and if not it would of been tough to knapp. Its a keeper

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Not heat treated at all. I highly doubt heat would have helped the knapability of this material. I have found chunks of the same material that I do think was heated. I believe it was used in cooking middens, judging by the amount I find and that it is usually in squarish or odd shaped chunks that look like they were heated.

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah your getting some

Nice! From what reviews Ron has given us, that is some tough stone to knap, therefore special and a keeper!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Kentucky point
        Kentucky point commented
        Editing a comment
        He has left less than rave reviews...

I didn't know you knap.

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        It is less than ideal. I knap a little bit. I don't really have any large decent pieces of material to work with so I usually just make small points that would do good on an arrow or dart.

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe I'll post some pics in the knapping forum. Camera on my phone takes crappy pics so I usually only use it, out of necessity, for ancient finds.

Thats a nice find ! BA that stuff is like steel . The hammerstones in our area are all made out of that . It seems absolutely impossible that a point could be made out of it . I’ll send Ron some .
      I did find a rose colored tip and freaked out but lost it . Yep lost it hording chips .
      I bet those were great as a weapon like jasper would be .

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Tam! Yeah, it is tough. This is some of the better quality of its kind, most of the other quartzite of this variety is a bit more large grained. Can't wait to see what Ron can do with it.

Nice. Congrats on this sugary one too brother
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Red. Its like rock candy.

Always enjoy finding the odd point whether type or material, rare.
      Same situation here with quartzite, congrats
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for looking, Greg. Rare indeed. How were they utilizing the quartzite up your way?

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        Me to and odd tools

• gregszybala
        gregszybala commented
        Editing a comment
        Hixton Orthoquartzite also known as Hixton silcified sandstone, originates out of Wisconsin. I have found one and a half points out of it, pretty material. Here just little chunks not big enough to work.

I’m glad you finally found one there, and it’s pretty nice too!
      South Dakota

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanls, Gary. I'm glad I finally found one too! I was starting to think I'd never find a quartzite point around here. I love they way It sparkles and shines.

BA the little point in the middle is one ive found of similar material ....dunno...bit different tint
      Attached Files
      People only see what they are prepared to see -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• O.C. Hermit
        O.C. Hermit commented
        Editing a comment
        Yours is definitely prettier

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        I remember your post for that one. Its a good one, I like it, I really like the form! Not sure about that material looks a little more coarse. There are a couple different geo formations in your area that have crystalline cherty dolomite. Do you find alot of that yellowish quartzite around there?

Not so much..found a couple white scrapers with alot sparkle..grey chert veins through it...found a real pretty red chunk today looks like maybe a core with heavy veins of it
      People only see what they are prepared to see -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmm, wondering if it was maybe from a cobble?..

• Broken Arrow
        Broken Arrow commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometimes it can be very hard to identify lithics away from the source. I think quartzite can be especially hard to pin down since there are so many sources of it, especially here in Missouri. In your county there are 6 or 7 formations that have quartzy cherty dolomite and then mix in all the possible cobble sources...it could have came from anywhere. I don't know how often you go exploring but if you can find a county geologic map and find some local outcrops, you could get a really good idea of what the rock from the different formations look like and know if and what kind of local material was being used on the sites you hunt.
    Working...
    X