Box of rocks and my picks from it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Box of rocks and my picks from it.

My buddy was at an antique shop the other day and came across a box of artifacts. He sent me a pic and I decided I had to go check them out for myself. They are all authentic and are all from a local farm in cape county missouri. I know we don't discuss prices here on the forum so, I will just say they were all a flat rate per piece and that rate was so low that I could have paid for them with the change in my couch. Wasn't alot of change in my couch today(or my pocket) LOL. I picked out 7 pieces and will be going back for the rest as soon as I get a chance. I hope they are still there bc I left some nice scrapers and brokes behind. Here is a pic of the box and a pic of what I pulled from it. Click image for larger version  Name:	123951-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	337574 Click image for larger version  Name:	1212181228-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	337575
    Last edited by Broken Arrow; 12-12-2018, 02:12 PM.
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Love it! You done good boom.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Tom. I was loving it too. It is nice to find easy pickins. I wanted to buy the whole box but there wasn't a bulk price. I picked all the whole ones though. There was a broken dalton in there that I passed up. It was snapped off from one shoulder through the base. Probably a mistake to pass on it but hopefully it will still be there in a few days when I make it back. I was especially stoked that I could get some provenance on them, and maybe next time I stop in the I'll be able to get exact provenance.

That's cool BA...I never bought an artifact ....but I. Pribably woulda too ...Nice hit...I think u even got 1 redrock?
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Red. This was my first foray into artifact purchasing. I've passed on buying a few times, mostly bc the pieces were either clearly reproductions or the price was too high for what the item was. I couldn't pass on these, they checked out with no red flags, they had a bit of provenance and I can probably get full provenence. Yep, there is a red one in there, it was probably the nicest piece in the box. Only keeping a couple for myself though..
      Last edited by Broken Arrow; 12-12-2018, 02:59 PM.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm looking at the red one ....that diagonal part of stem looks flaked

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      It does have a bit of flaking on the stem.

Love it to , go behind the couch now and go get the rest lol .
    great finds . There is a little antique shop in Georgia but the guy won’t sell the points . I’ll take pictures next time .

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to have to wait til at least Friday before I can make it back to pick through it more.

Boy the closer I look you got me going now .

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      They are some really nice pieces, nice flaking and craftsmanship, good examples.

I could spend all day digging in that box! Finding real artifacts is tough, but finding so many, for such a low price is crazy. I was in an antique shop the other day, and was about to buy a nice looking arrowhead, when I saw that the guy also had a Thunderbird effigy made of chert. I put the point down because who knows what else in that cabinet was fake. I rarely get to the other antique shop which has a lot of real points to choose from, but for full price. You hit the jackpot my man!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Ethan. There are several shops around here that have artifacts from time to time. Some are legit, some are repros. The repros are usually obvious, lacking patina, fresh rock, fresh flaking, etc. From my experience with personal finds around here, the bit of knapping I've done, and a couple other factors, I was able to be confident that everything in the box was legit.

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus you don't fake field grade stuff. That would be kinda stupid.

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, right! For being field grade, the pieces I pulled are in really good shape. Not really alot of dings or nicks

There are a lot of nice colors in there too.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Alot of different lithics in there. Stuff from Illinois, Kentucky, and Missouri. Alot of Burlington and a good bit of hornstone.

Nice pick!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Greg!

Nice little Stemmed Rhyolite Base at 11:00. The Point Group look's like Dickson and Hopewell. Cool Buy!
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

W T Glean !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That would have been fun, picking through them.
        South Dakota

Comment

Working...
        X