1 -10 -19 ...looks adena

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 -10 -19 ...looks adena

Found this point ,and scrapers this afternoon. I was thinking hopewell ..but it fits the bill of an adena pretty good ..any ideas are of course welcome...the white / gray flint is a nice thin scraper..the other looks to be a scraper too Click image for larger version

Name:	image_53618.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	343385 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_53619.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	343386 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_53620.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	343387
    Last edited by Hoss; 01-10-2019, 09:08 PM.
    People only see what they are prepared to see -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nice finds love the little scraper too.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• O.C. Hermit
      O.C. Hermit commented
      Editing a comment
      Ty Hoss , ive found quite a few scrapers on site , a handful of what looks to be the same material , it really is a well made piece ...im glad to get this year underway with a few finds

Looks like a good score to me ! JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Hi OC. Glad you are showing us your finds. The stemmed point looks to me to not have been a finished product. Not a preform as such, just no finished edges and consequently I'm not able to give it a type ID.

Comment

• O.C. Hermit
        O.C. Hermit commented
        Editing a comment
        Just figured it to be a bit crude..thanks sj

Nice ones sometimes when I’m walking a campsite I stop and wonder how many people were making the tools and points. And maybe it was just one person if all the finds are the same quality
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Not all ancient people had the same ability to produce quality pieces. I’m sure mine would of been ugly but just good enough to get the job done

• O.C. Hermit
        O.C. Hermit commented
        Editing a comment
        I know what you mean. Ive found them from early /archaic to late woodland in this site....was the camp here ? Further up the hill ?..how far did these artifacts travel underground ? .. where was the creek 6000 years ago ?...alot of questions....particularly if theyre of the same material i wonder if it was the same knapper

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        If it is worked in the dirt like a farm could of been on the top of the hill. Most of the camps I find are on high ground

Good a start to the year OC... Nice finds
      SW Connecticut

Comment

I have a site also that produces finds from late archaic to woodland. Most of the finds are on or along a long ridgetop that I guess was probably 10 feet higher thousands of years ago prior to the plow. Good start to the year there OC...
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• O.C. Hermit
          O.C. Hermit commented
          Editing a comment
          Ty Baba...the area i hunt is a series of terraces up from a creek 100 yards or so...below a ridge of prairie type land..alot of erosion and runoffs ..its fairly steep..i kinda just follow the rock trail

Nice finds O.C. You know I always wonder about the creeks myself . Where were they 6k years ago . I think I am going to look at old maps in my area . I noticed the creek on my property has a bend that is going in 2 ft on a good rain a year . I am going to start marking it and see in a few years how much it has changed . Same with this one camp I hunt . The camp change I think is going to be a big help in finding new area to look at . It’s progressed to woodland but the high area and a slope near a river where not to any people will go has trans paleo to Archaic pieces . Large choppers. Just completely different artifacts .
        You really get to thinking on the past in some of these areas .

Comment

Ty Tam and best of luck in your hunting.. yes I have recently found myself looking up basic science and geology terms ( been a long time since school books lol )...erosion by definition... I have some Creek property and the course can definitely change in a rainy season...my theory where i am is the creek was much closer to the site...the scope of time is so large in our "hobby "...lol... erosion is a huge factor in the type of areas i hunt...many of my surface finds have been under leaves on embankments of runoffs

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a property not sure how many acres it is but it’s farm land. What’s interesting is the Mississippian period is way above the Adena and the archaic is even higher as in the points I find. Adena being close to the spring head. That tells me during the archaic period the water was probably over the Adena camp and probably Mississippian period the water was over the Adena site. So water does change often. It’s a big deep creek that the spring runs into

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I found a Kirk on the tallest hill which is probably 100 ft above the creek so 7500 years ago or so the water was super high

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Me to !

The site on my place is near the bottom of the hill...a small ridge...i ive found them at the top...middle...bottom...and theres an 1/8 mile of hill beyond me lol....i think they work their way down the hill..thats not to say theres wasnt a camp right on me at some point.ive found mid archaic to mid woodland on the surface...but theyre flat points ..condusive to working theyre way down ..up....out...i dunno lol..no telling how long they lay..its alot to wrap the head around huh..i love it

Comment

Working...
          X