Dickson mound spade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dickson mound spade

During the 60's , in my college years , when I was a serious artifact hound , I had some wonderful contacts in Illinois. One of them had an artifact trading post in Alton IL. The friend in Alton knew Dr. Dickson the owner of what was then the private farm which contained the incredible Dickson mound complex. It is now a public world heritage site run by the state of IL. We obtained permission to hunt the field at the base of the 100 ft tall mound for 1 day.. I only found 3 artifacts , but they were all museum grade ... one is a spade. If you look at the base of the spade , you will the see the large bit has end furrowed grooves from use and also that the spade was used so much it is highly polished. It is glossy like it is covered in urethane. It is not , it use polish. Thanks for a look , louvier
    Last edited by Louvier; 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM.

Nice! I've got half of one that is similar to that. Is that Bailey chert?
    Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

That is quite nice.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Excellent relic!

Walter Wadlow would have been towards the end of his collecting days, but he and Greg Perino spent a lot of time in that area.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Do you mean Spade instead of Spud? I know autocorrect can change your spelling. It’s a beautiful artifact
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
            Lindenmeier-Man commented
            Editing a comment
            You read my mind ...

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Good catch

• clovisoid
            clovisoid commented
            Editing a comment
            Spud is used locally for polished chert relics. It should probably be used for the ceremonial Mississippian scepter like items, but I’ve heard collectors use it for Mississippian hoes/spades that are polished.

Very nice artifact and story. Thanks for sharing it.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

You had a very unique opportunity there . Great story and glad you were able to take something with you .
            Nice spade .

Comment

That must have been fun and interesting. Doesn't happen like that anymore. Thanks for sharing.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I thought a spud and a spade were the same thing. Thank you , for making me aware that they were different. I looked at some spud images and thought some were exceptional. I corrected my 1st post to say spade everywhere , except the post title. Couldn't change that. Also I looked at bailey chert and thought it was the right cream color , Thank you for the ID, Broken arrow ... Joe Louvier

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                  Broken Arrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're welcome, Joe. It has the right texture as well. Bailey chert was commonly used, around here, for items like that.

• SDhunter
                  SDhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I changed the title for you. Hopefully you wanted it changed. I can change it back

Beautiful find, I can’t wait to see the other 2 finds from that day!!

Comment

That’s awesome. Special artifact
                  South Dakota

Comment

I think you are long overdue to get back in the hunt. Its good exercise. Thanks for sharing that special piece.

Comment

Working...
                    X