New England notched weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a big one Red thanks for saving and sharing that critter
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Matt it surprised me immensely....made in Connecticut

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Matt after reading the link on the old anchor stone post Charlie put in on his comment...you had a very good idea about. Anchoring a weir or an open end net....sounds good

Great find! I’d call it a canoe anchor too
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jay that's what I was thinking when I found it

I found a very similar one about 2 weeks ago, mine is slightly smaller, but quite similar. I believe these were the pieces used to secure the main rope of the net to the shore. A large, heavy flat rock could be wedged easily between larger rocks, trees or even just buried to keep that main line secure. We have a friend that has a full grooved one that weighs more than 50 pounds. Nice find Red. I’ll post a pic of mine tomorrow

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dave. that could very well be the use anchoring a net...or canoe anchor ?whatever it was used for I live it...I been on a notched weight roll lately....I look forward to seeing yours.

• OnewiththewilD
      OnewiththewilD commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a great thought too, You very well could be right!

I love mysteries. Red you should enter it in the contest I would vote for it
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      That's crazy Glenn I've heard of thunder snow

• Broken Arrow
      Broken Arrow commented
      Editing a comment
      We had them here last night.

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Still booming right now but not as bad. Record flooding, trees falling but at least it’s not freezing cold or snowing. Going to warm up some but raining till Saturday

I just read the link to the post. Charlie put in here about stone anchors. . Hoss had some very good idea of a notched Rock like this. Anchoring a fish weir or open end net...good thinking Hoss
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Oh your right Red I did miss this . What in tarnation were they going after ? I’ll have to look at these posts on it .
      what is that ??the mother anchor for rapids that never came up . Like they had to dive down and connect a net to it when the water was down .

Comment

As promised Guest

Comment

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Dave ...thanks for the pic...that's a nice one. Nice distinct notches....I found another the other day . .big one...I'll post soon
      Working...
      X