Chunk of steatite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chunk of steatite

A couple of nice guys let me walk a plot they cleared along the river But I didn't find anything the 1st 5 times except for a small flake blank of argillite... but then surprise I think it's a piece of a stone bowl, a very thick one. Feels soapy and is very smoothed on the top side, kinda smooth on the bottom too.
    New Jersey

New Jersey

Comment

I guess it could be but the pieces I find are silver looking. Have you washed it? Maybe it’s dirty
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Did you do the fingernail test? Just a tiny scratch will show .
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Explain test Red ?

• redrocks
          redrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Soapstone is soooo soft that a human fingernail will reveal a white scratch. .. showing the raw rock...if you run it down a cheese grater you will have a pile of talcum powder. As steatite is largely composed of talc. Of course do scratch in an inconspicuous spot .. as that sample looks like part of a bowl....which can be 5000 yrs old

Yea the color seems off so I should give it a soak. I think that I should be able to scratch it with my fingernail. If I look real close there is a little of that soap stone shine but further testing is required. It definately has the feel. Thanks for looking.
        New Jersey

Comment

I just did a search. It turns out soapstone comes in brown, tan etc.... . Who knew!!!
          New Jersey

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely. I have also seen black that was not the result of exposure to fire. The steatite was black to begin with....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190222_102214.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	352218 Here's a piece of a bowl that's shows signs of cooking heat from fire
          SW Connecticut

Comment

I would not go by color. I have a small vessel from North Carolina that is brown steatite.

Name:	IMG_2318.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	352243

Name:	IMG_2319.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	352244

Rhode Island

Comment

That would make a nice soap dish in the bathroom. Of course kidding. That piece is fantastic!
              New Jersey

Comment

Working...
              X