Favorite Finds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Finds?

Hello everyone! I got thinking about it recently, the hours, days, and years that we have all collectively accumulated searching for artifacts have sparked some pretty amazing discoveries! Please feel free to post a picture and story about your favorite find, and tell me why it’s your favorite! I’m excited to hear about what y’all have found.

God Bless,
    Ethan
    If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Hmmmm, your putting some of us old guys on the spot there.....
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Quartz Neville, middle archaic point! About 7,000 years B.P. One of my favorite artifacts. Totally serrated quartz point!
      Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        That's quite nice!

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, that’s quite the beauty! The skill that was required to make those serrations in the quartz was high! Thanks for sharing!

This Hardaway Dalton is my favorite find. Being from NC Hardaway's are very sought after and I thought I would never find one. I saw just a small hint of rhyolite color under the dirt thinking it was just a flake I was quite surprised when I popped it out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4793.PNG
Views:	144
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	355821
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is so exciting, that’s the kind of find that is once in a lifetime. What a fascinating point! Thanks for sharing!

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice

I can’t really pinpoint a best find, I have been blessed ! Truly I hope everyone will be fortunate in their adventures. So, I will present the LLL’s .. Life , Labor , and Luxury.
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is really neat I absolutely love the paleo point! Thanks for sharing!

• chase
        chase commented
        Editing a comment
        I got to hold that Folsom amazing!!!!!

You have been truly blessed ...that's awesome that you know that brother MAN....so thats a Paleo point. .....scraper .....and a bead? Nice
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes bro, Clovis, a paleo scraper, and a paleo bead. The bead is shell that is now stone...

• tomclark
        tomclark commented
        Editing a comment
        Supreme bead there. Looks like ivory, a favorite of paleoples...

Click image for larger version

Name:	3E342CA6-75F3-44A0-84B3-18FA5A383068.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	356059 This one was a fun find last year. Me and another guy was looking and we were getting skunked. He was walking in front of me. I saw this in his footprint so I called him over to rub it in a bit and thanked him for stepping on it 😃
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Adena Vanishing Stem is the type

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a cool find ..like the story

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        It was fun but the next week he paid me back with a find. I call him Aqua Man cause he can see them trough the water at least 2 ft deep.

Here is another I was walking my favorite creek and on the gravel bar there was a lot of coyote tracks and a spot where they had dug after something and this point was laying where they had dug Click image for larger version

Name:	81C7E1EB-3C44-4E94-950E-86D157730901.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	356181
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the stories that went along with both of those finds, they are just as neat as the artifacts! Thanks for sharing!

• redrocks
        redrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        That's superb Glen coyote beauty

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks I’m hoping to get back to that property in June. The new owner is a avid hunter and hunts all seasons. June-August is the only time I am allowed out there now. 200 acres of fields and creek.

Here is a Favorite, Spring Day edge of Field find.

Name:	100_0128 (640x480).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	356197
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice one white flint here is very rare

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, sweet point. Thanks for sharing.

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Guy's

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	356223 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	356224 I have too many favorites, mosty of shell artifacts. Construction and developments along the coast and intracoastal waterways down here often plow through shell middens. It's unfortunate that many sites are deemed unimportant and destroyed. This big Busycon (Lighning Whelk) Shell Adze was found in-situ in a wall of midden shell near oddly enough.....Indian Rocks Beach, FL. It has no damage and we cannot understand or see how this was used as an adze as the vast majority of them are very similar in size @ half the size of this one. Only Son Anderson has one about the same size lol. Hole is for haft/handle and notch is where stick lays across. It's definitely one of my favorite finds. The other three were found in various similar small sites and circumstances and they are unusually small. (average is in between size)
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• eannis6
        eannis6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, that’s really interesting. Cool finds!!

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Now those are different ! I’d not know it if I were on a beach and found one. Also, Son Anderson. I’ve not heard that name in a looonnngg while ! I told him a NA joke once and he about fell out of his chair, I though he was gonna have a heart attack he was laughing so hard....

That’s a cool piece Tom no shell artifacts here soil kills them
      NW Georgia,

Comment

In the late 1990s I lived above Cotopaxi Colorado - a railroad town between Canon City and Salida along the Arkansas River. To get out in the winter for a hunt I would drive over to the San Luis Valley and explore the dune fields north of Alamosa. One cold but clear day in February I got out - on a motorcycle at sunrise - and rode until around two in the afternoon. Early on it was wicked cold - my ears were hurting and I had to warm my hands on the engine exhaust.
        I found six or seven field grade archaic points and was heading back to the truck along a fence line when I rode right up on this Paleo laying fully exposed about 20 yards from the fence. It is made out of phenocryst quartzite and its color and texture matched the sand so well that it was hard to see unless you were right on top of it. The guys who put up the fence missed seeing it for that reason.
        4.25 inches in length and some have said its an Agate Basin - others have called it a Hell Gap.
        On the ride back to the truck - I don't think the wheels of the motorcycle touched the ground.......

Name:	020.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	367655 Click image for larger version

Name:	031.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	367656 Click image for larger version

Name:	022.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	367657

Comment

• Aquaman
          Aquaman commented
          Editing a comment
          Exceptional workmanship!!

That is stupendous...what a piece
        SW Connecticut

Comment

• oldrocks2
          oldrocks2 commented
          Editing a comment
          What a super piece.

Ocra Absolutely gorgeous thanks for sharing
        If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

My favorite find. I was 13 yrs. old ( 1954) up a creek catching minnows and crawdads for river fishing and this point was laying right next to a crawdad mound. Picked it up and thought wow indians were here. Threw it in my minnow bucket and that night got home and after cleaning a big flathead I showed it to dad and he said, that's damn old. Threw it in my junk drawer with my marbles, hawk foot ,snake skin, etc and never thought much about it. Years later (many) I became friends with a coworker who was a arrowhead hunter and he invited me on his hunts. The rest is history. Still my favorite find as I can remember the day well because of the great flathead I caught.
          SE IA

Comment

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            That is one sweet point OR
        Working...
        X